Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drosera & Ping recommendations?

Posted by paul_ z4/5 MI (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 23, 08 at 18:22

Looking for small growing dros and pings that don't require a winter dormancy for my bog terr. [From what I've seen, most pings would not be a problem in the size department, but a required dormancy would be an issue.] Currently have a D. capensis, D. adelae, and what I believe may be a P morensis.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drosera & Ping recommendations?

They arent impressive unless you have a ton in one pot, but D. Spathulata are pretty sweet, and most pygmy sundews will work, too.

o

• Posted by twotut N.Ca.foothills zn 9 (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 27, 08 at 21:00

I have the Pings Cyclosecta, Agnata Red Leaf and Esseriana, they have been very easy to grow with no dormancy and have been flowering like crazy. I bought mine at HoustonHerb.com and Cascade Carnivores and the plants were beautiful and the prices were very reasonable. I have limited space so they worked out just right. Good Luck...!

o

D. adelae and P. primuliflora go well together. I have many Mexican pings and although they tend to like the change in seasons, they don't need to be kept like Sarracenias ad VFT's. D. capensis, spatulata, dielsiana, aliciae, burmannii come to mind, also. Pygmy sundews are like Mexican butterworts in that they also like a change in seasons. Bladderworts are also good.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photobucket album

o

Just to let you know, pygmy sundews don't grow very well on a bog terrarium, too much humidity will kill them. Of all my sundews, pygmies are the least I water.

They seem to like a slightly drier environment with it media with good drainage. Surprisingly I had some pygmies growing along side with my Mexican butterworts without any problem.

o

• Posted by nycti 9 (land of the oven) (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 29, 08 at 10:31

Hi Paul,

Sounds like it will be a pretty setup when you are finished. As far as I know Mexican Pings don't need a dormancy.

Someone please correct me if there are some that do.

Nycti

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here