Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jonocross

Name this sundew

jonocross
17 years ago

A while back I got a Cephalotus from black jungle and recently it has been growing a sundew with it. It's not very big yet, complicating the name game even more but here's a pic to get you started.

Any idea what this is?

{{gwi:546175}}

I have a couple more pics of it on my web site but at the moment that's the best one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tangled Web of Aracknight

Comments (7)

• petiolaris
    17 years ago

Looks like a baby D. capensis. Congratulations.... and my condolences!

• jonocross
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I thought it looked like a cape... Guess time will tell as it gets bigger. Thank you.

Will it harm the ceph in any way? and at this size, can it be removed with any chance of both getting it completely out of the ceph pot and saving both plants in the process?

• nepenthesfreak_2007
    17 years ago

No, I don't think it will harm the ceph very much, I had a capensis growing in much closer proximity to my venus flytrap, and it did just fine. You should be able to remove it without too much trouble, I didn't have any trouble at all removing the cape sundew in my flytrap pot.

• petiolaris
    17 years ago

Not that it would harm the Ceph, but I would remove the seedling and put it in a pot of its own. If it is indeed a cape sundew, then its growing conditions, particularly for the winter, are significantly different. The Ceph requires cold temps, while a cape sundew liked the winter to be warmer. I keep my capensis at room temp and Ceph at a cold window sill for the winter.

• petiolaris
    17 years ago

I would also pluck the winter leaves of the Ceph plants and attempt to propogate more plants. Just embed the white part (basal) in the soil media... and wait. They will eventually sprout new plants.

• jonocross
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Would you put them in the same pot or start a new pot for them? How long is eventually? I know I know... patience. I'm still learning how to not watch my cuttings and seeds and just let them do their thing weeks or months.

Anyway, I took the ceph from one of those 2 inch square pots full of whatever it came in and put the contents of the pot (didn't want to disturb the roots and why remove soil it already likes) into a 4.5 inch pot filled with 2x sand 1x peat. and it seems to be none the worse for wear.

So, if I threw together another pot of sand and peat, (acutally this time I'll use perlite instead of sand, long story but I ended up with 4 cubic feet of the stuff) I should just place the cuttings in a pot right next to the mother plant. Am I getting all that correctly or should I change something.

As luck would have it, the aquarium I'm using for the ceph has room for exactly 1 more 4.5 pot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tangled Web of Aracknight

• petiolaris
    17 years ago

I would use the same pot for now, just because it's growing in those conditions. On the other hand, Cephs need really good drainage and do best in a pot that is both deep and wide, as well as being mounded. It should look like a snowcone!

The one cutting that has turned into a real plant, took a few months before doing anything. But when I had one in a tube if water, it took a few weeks. But then acclimating it to media wasn't successful. Others I had in swampy, live LFS, took a few weeks to sprout. So I got somewhat inconsistent results.