Urgent HELP Needed / Help Save My Neps

dethcheez
15 years ago

Hi

I would like to start by saying that I am Not New to Nepenthes

Been growing / dealing with them for about 6+ years now with good success

&
Some of the effected plants are 3 to 5 years old + some recent cuttings

From my experience with them I know leaves will bronze, change color or die etc.

Depending on light, temp, humidity, time of year etc. and so on

But I can't say that I've seen this before

~Brife Recent History That Might Help~

I wasn't to concerned at first because most of my Neps look like cr*p this time of year (lowlands) compared to how they look in the spring - summer - early fall and due to the fact that I just got a new greenhouse for them (which I had to move) & the plants had been being moved around a lot in & out of the greenhouse + with everything going on ~ the holidays & family & being in & out of town etc. they weren't getting their usual care so I didn't think much of it

I just got the greenhouse reset up yesterday & was moving the plants once more today

That's when I noticed how bad some of the leaves were really looking close up

I can't recall ever seeing this before & it doesn't look good

I have some photos posted it at~

http://community.webshots.com/album/569582512InEFBd

Please take a look

If Anyone Can ID What Is Causing This Or Has Any Idea At All What It Could Be

Please, Please LMK ASAP

Any & All Help / Info. Will Be More Then Greatly Appreciated

Even if you're not a Nep expert & think you know what it is or what to do to fix it

Thanx in Advance

Eric

dethcheez@aol.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos

Comments (8)

• mcantrell
    15 years ago

It almost looks like some form of pest... Do you have any pesticides?

• dethcheez
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"It almost looks like some form of pest... Do you have any pesticides?"

Thanx For Your Reply

No, I don't use any pesticides on my Neps
    Due to them being kind of sensitive & the fact that they like bugs
    But honestly I've never found the need to

Any idea what kind of "Pest" could/would cause this
    So I could try to look it up & see what info. I can find

I've never seen this on any of my plants before

Also could have been something that was on some new plants
    But I don't see anything on them

Thanx Again
    Eric

• dashman
    15 years ago

What neps are these? You mentioned they are lowland, but which ones? Some are more sensitive to sudden drops in temp and humidity than others.

For example, I have read bical leaves will burn with sudden drops in humidity.

• dethcheez
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank You...

It's mainly present on my Ventricosa(s)
    Which seem to do the best out here (also Alata does great)

I know I usually get the bronze spots when it cools down during the winter
    But I never seen it that bad

All of my bigger plant have been kept outdoors for years & have adapted nicely
    Most of them Thrive

It my be a result of neglect
    With work being so crazy the last few weeks & all of the holiday running around
    They weren't getting their normal misting & care
    + Them being moved around a lot / Change in light ect.

Stress or Frost/Cold Burn I can deal with & they should bounce back

But since I've never seen that much damage before
    I want to make sure it's not something nasty that's attacking them or something that was introduced for one of my new plants
    Because if it is I have a lot of plants at steak & want to move as quickly as possible in remedying the cause / problem

Thanx Again & Pleeeeeeease Keep The Input Coming In
    It's Greatly Appreciated & Ever Little Bit Helps
    At Lease It Gives Me A Direction To Look In & Something To Rule Out If Nothing Else

Eric

• dashman
    15 years ago

I think it is probably lack of water or temps. I am leaning towards temps, just because you said they were ventricosa and they are the sherman tanks of nepenthes. The brown spots look to originate from the veins which seems to tell me that the issue is from within and not an external attack.

Ventricosa is technically a highland nepenthes. Although it will grow like a weed in most any condition. That tells me that humidity is probably not the issue since I grow mine if lower humidity. The next possibility is tempurature.

You are in zone 9, how cold does it get there during the winter? Most neps, with the exception of a very few (2 that I know of khasiana and lamii [i think]) can withstand temps below 45. I had a ventrata burn at the growth points this fall when temps got below 50. It is doing fine now and started to branch and vine as a result, but I was nervous for a few weeks. (I haven't lost a nep yet.)

Ventricosa if a very forgiving plant when it comes to water and light, but you should never let a nep dry out. Which judging by your experience, I am guessing is not the issue. That is what keeps leading me to tempurature.

If that is the case, I think as long as you give them attention and get back to optimal conditions, they should bounce back. Leaves may die, but as long as new growth appears, then you should be ok. In it's weakened state try not to overwater. If leaves are dying, this is food for fungus now all it needs is a nice drink.

If it is lack of water, then you should be fine too. Just make sure not to water log it for the same reasons as just mentioned.

A little more light may help during the healing phase if the pitchers weren't already a reddish color before this problem. Otherwise, light is just right.

Hope this helps...

• dashman
    15 years ago

Here is a pic of my ventricosa

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:546223}}

• dethcheez
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanx for the info. "dashman", it did help...

Guess I just need some reassurance that my babies weren't dying...
    Never seen them get that bad before & kind of feared the worst...
    I've been growing some of them for 5+ years now & would hate to loose any of them...

Normally where I live it drops down to the mid 40s (F) at the coldest at night in the winter...
    Most of my Neps have been growing outdoors for years & they never look their best this time of year, but I have never lost any to the cold...
    But we did have some nasty weather for about week just before X-Mas were it did drop into the low 40s high 30s...
    I live in Long Beach, but I was visiting my parents in Apple Valley the week before X-Mas & got snowed in for 3 days... LOL

I don't have an indoor spot to keep them that gets enough light...
    Although on cold nights I would normally move them indoors & put them back outside during the day so they could get sun...
    But with work being so crazy the last few weeks & all of the holiday running around & craziness and all...
    "Even though they didn't get their normal level of care & attention for a few weeks they were never allowed to dry out>

I know I should have moved them inside & didn't / My Bad

I was afraid if it was something else other then cold weather it might have affected/infected my other plants...
    Better safe then sorry...

Thanx Again To Everyone For Their Input / I'll be sleeping better tonight because of it...

Eric

• dashman
    15 years ago

No problem. Yes 30's is too low for neps in my opionion.

I take mine indoors for the winter under a flourescent light when temps drop below 50. Next year I am raising that to 55 because my ventrata got frost bite.

Good luck!

Sponsored