Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zendog_7a

How cold can fly traps go in dormancy

zendog
10 years ago

We recently purchased some little seedling fly traps and a full sized "microdent" fly trap. Since it is winter they came in dormancy, so we put them into pots (they were bare root) and placed them into our crawlspace. We life in Virginia just outside DC. I have a 15W LED light on them that is set on a timer that goes on for 9 hours a day. Right now it is a plain white LED, but we'll be replacing it with some LED grow lights in the next week or so.

I chose the crawlspace since I thought it would keep the temperature more consistent. Outside it will get colder (not sure how much) and more importantly I thought the sun might warm up the pots a lot more than the plants normally would be if they were in the ground.

We are expecting temperatures that might get into single digits in the next few days and I'm wondering how cold VFT plants can/should actually go during their winter dormancy. If it gets really cold do we risk having them die? If so, maybe I'll put them in the fridge during the coldest nights.

Thoughts?