Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with N. miranda

Posted by Bob1016 9b (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 12, 12 at 19:49

Hey guys,
I have a beautiful full grown miranda, that used to get huge 18" pitchers. For the last year and a half it has done nothing. The plant is about two feet long and will produce one leaf every two or three months, and has not pitchered for a year and a half. The new leaves just dont develope any pitchers. The vine is there but the tip just looks like a tiny brown leaf.
Please help!
Bob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with N. miranda

2 questions, how much light does it get daily and how often do you feed it? I suspect one of those to be the problem. Maybe both. This time of year they usually don't pitcher. That usually starts in the spring. For now, once a month feed it 1/4 strength orchid food. Bright, indirect Sun all day.

o

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

o
Nepenthes

I know they go dormant (or at least are supposed to go dormant) during the winter, but last spring it did nothing. As far as sun goes, nepenthes and sun are strange, some plants prefer sun, and others of the same species don't. I had it in full sun in early spring, then when no pitchers arived I put it in filtered light, still nothing.
I usually feed it a diluted 3:1:2 fert (at about 1/4 strength) every other week. It just hasnt done anything.

o

neps are odd,id just keep doing what you have been doing and leave it alone

o

So I said screw it and did something that I should not do: I reported my nepenthes. When I got to the roots I think I found the problem: the two foot tall, two foot wide plant had a root ball that was two inches in diameter! I water it and take care of it just as well as my truncata, but for what ever reason this Miranda's roots were horrible and sickly. I put it into my standard blend (long fibre sphagnum, crushed lava rock, and some bark) and hopefully the roots will take hold and thrive, if it dies then it's no worse than what would happen if I did not transplant it.
All I can do is wait and see. It's funny Miranda is supposed to be one of the easier varieties and it's almost dead, but my truncata is doing great!

o

I think it is a combination of light and humidity. In low light nepenthes will not pitcher, and in low humidity they will abort their forming tendrils and only produce dormant buds. Nepenthes do not go dormant, they are tropical plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here