Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caterell

Identification of a Nepenthes- Help

caterell
16 years ago

Hi. Can anyone help me identify and age my Nepenthes? Also any care tips of this particular species would be good, as detailed tips as you like.

PLANT DECRIPTION:

Leaves:

The leaves are a medium lime green, and quite shiny, with a yellow mid-rib vein running down their middles in a vertical line, and extending into a 7cm long, pinkish reddish vine at the end of each leaf.

The youngest leaves are the plants first ever ones and are still visible, though they have nearly all died off now, and they are round and short.The leaves themselves are broad and ovular, and seem to become more oval and longer as the plant matures.

Curently the longest leaves are about 17cm long each without the vine included.

Pitchers:

The mature pitchers are all about 6-8cm tall, hang in the air off their vines, and are all roughly shaped like upside down green lightbulbs. They have bulbous bottoms, and narrower tapering necks. Each pitcher has a set of two hairy fringes running about a third of the way down the pitcher from the top. These grow out of a pair of parallel red veins that run down the pitchers front. The insides of the pitchers are a plain paler green.

Pitcher Lips:

The lip of each pitcher is green and grooved with fine, shallow, evenly spaced ruts. The lips themselves are round at the front, and taper at the back making them seem shaped like tear-drops.

Pitcher Lids:

The pitcher lids are round too, and green as well. They remind me of the lily pads frogs are supposed to live on. They are smooth on top, with a tiny bit of not very obvious 'baby fluff', and a very prominent 5mm spur at the base where they join the pitcher.

Growth:

The plant is growing in long fibre sphagnum moss, and grows very slowly. It has at least two hours a day of sunlight usually and 40-60% humidity. It takes about six weeks for a pithcer to grow fully and open, but it is still actively pitchering. It has grown two new pitchers since I bought it and is slowly growing a third while the second opens.

I hope all this info helps, if you can help me identify it, I would be very appreciative!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville