Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suxatgrowingvft

help me urgent, life or death situatioN!!!

suxatgrowingvft
15 years ago

I PUT MY VFT "DENTE" IN FULL SUN ALL DAY TODAY, AND WHEN I CHECKED ON IT, I REALIZED IT HAD TURNED ALMOST COMPLETELY BLACK!!!!!!!! I WATER IT WITH DISTILLED WATER, IT IS IN THE RIGHT SOIL (I BOUGHT IT AND HAVENT MESSED WITH IT AT ALL,) JUST TRIED TO GET IT SOME SUN, AND NOW ITS GONNA DIE!!!!! HELP ME PLZ!!

Comments (16)

• petiolaris
    15 years ago

It's likely that the plant experienced a significant change in growing conditions and it reacted. Hard do say whether it died or has life in it. I would say that it is best to keep it where it is and wait it out.

• hunterkiller03
    15 years ago

When you put it out in the sun, did it had the cup still on it, or did you removed it?

I have no idea how hot it gets where you live, but if you simply removed the cup and it isn't too hot that it heated the moss... Most likely it may have went into shock exposed suddenly to drier air. The bulb might still be intact and one way to know is if you slighlty uncovered it (don't dig it out)and see if it is still white and crisp.

I agree with petiolaris, keep with it and wait it out.

• dethcheez
    15 years ago

If it wasn't use to being out in the sun it may have got burned...
    I would say cut all of the black / dead traps off of it & just hope & wait...
    If the corm is still good it should start forming new traps in about a week or so...

Good Luck With It...

• suxatgrowingvft
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, I get what you guys are saying, but it continues to turn black, what it seems hour by hour, i REALLY don't know what to do. How Wet does the peat mix soil thing need to be? i have it bareley wet, just past damp... is that alright, does it need more water? less??

-totally confused.

• dethcheez
    15 years ago

Set the pot in a tray with about a 1/4 in. of water...
    They like it wet, but they don't want to be water logged...

Here's a few links with some info. that might help~
    http://www.flytraps.com/Scripts/openPolicy.asp?policy=6

http://www.blackjungle.com/venusflytrapcaresheet.html

Kind of think of it like this~
    If you stay out in the sun to long you'll get a sunburn...
    But if you do it slowly your skin will darken & you will tan instead of burn...
    It's the same with plants, if it was an indoor plant & wasn't use to full sun light it got a "sunburn" for lack of a better term...
    VFTs like full sun, so if you leave it where it's at the new growth will/should acclimate to it's new conditions...

I have both indoor & outdoor Pothos & even though they are cuttings from the same plant they look nothing alike...
    The outdoor plants are a total different color then the indoor plants...

VFTs also need a dormant period...
    Every year around October I cut all of the traps off of my plants, wrap the corms in moist moss, put them in a ziplock & keep them in the fridge till about mid February then repot them & move them back out doors...

Cut all the traps down to the top of the soil / Be Sure Not To Cut The Crom/Bulb...
    As long a the corm hasn't been damaged it should come back...

Good Luck With It,
    Eric

• suxatgrowingvft
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ok, here is the deal. My VFT is indoors ALL DAY, i live in Arizona, and it gets really hot in the day, and really cold at night. I have it in a tray, but when i fill it up, the soil just sucks it up. The soil then will dry on the top layer, but if you dig about 1/4 of an inch it is damp. I trimmed all of the dead parts off, but the parts of the leavs that are left, continue to turn black. I have it under an "agro-gro" bulb that i bought from Home Depot, specially made for plants. Or i can use a CFL. Which one would be better?

• hunterkiller03
    15 years ago

Arizona! Hello fellow Cardinal fan!

I suggest you leave it alone. My VFT are dormant but in their pots with their media just moist enough to keep the bulbs alive.

Despite that it is winter here, it still gets hot by noon. Especially if you have it covered with the cap or top on.

Anyways, does it look like this picture?
    {{gwi:545265}}
    {{gwi:545262}}

They may be dormant. Sometimes all the leaves die and sometimes it doesn't. Like suggested before, leave it alone until spring.

"agro-gro" doesn't have enough light for CP but CFL does as long as it has over 1800 lumens. So look for light fixtures of that capacity. I use 2 of the spiral CFL of 20 watts each.

If it dies, try again. One good book you can look up how to grow VFT is 'The Savage Garden' by Peter D'Amato.

You learn by experience. I was once the bane of VFTs. You have no idea how many I killed trying to grow them

• suxatgrowingvft
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No, mine don't look like the pictures, i found that a new trap is growing!!! :) i'm so happy, although the other traps keep getting blacker and blacker, getting ever closer to the base of the plant

• suxatgrowingvft
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I finally got around to taking pic's and getting them online... here they are.

Baby trap (also look at soil wetness, this is "normal") and after i trimed all of the dead stuff off:
    {{gwi:546341}}

Look at soil, too wet?, if i push down, water accumulates under finger:
    {{gwi:546343}}

still too wet?:

{{gwi:546345}}

Hope the pic's help, the vft is not that big, it is still growing, i bought it 2 weeks ago from petflytrap.com

(sorry they are so big...);)

ALSO i put it in an inch of water, in a little tupperware plastic thing, and it sucked all the water up, and it looks too wet, what do you think?

• hunterkiller03
    15 years ago

Your plant is not dead, it's old leaves died of the sudden drier air but the bulb looks okay. I would have burried it a little deeper to cover the white portion of the bulb and what's left of the leaves flat on the ground. but it looks like it will soon recover.

One thing... You are using the 50:50 mix of perlite and Sphagnum peat moss?

• suxatgrowingvft
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes i am using the 50:50 mix of perlite and Sphagnum peat moss, as far as i know, i bought it from petflytrap.com, and they say it comes with it... also what ARTIFICIAL lighting are you guys using? Post pictures IF POSSIBLE, if not, just tell me what kind of lighting... i really want a really good light, and i'm trying to get it as much sun as possible too.

• dethcheez
    15 years ago

It "should" be ok in the mix you're using, but a 50/50 mix of peat & sand would be better for a VFT...
    I use a mix of peat, sand, chopped New Zealand moss & a little perlite for mine (personal preference)...
    If you can give it to it, Real Sun Light is best / VFT like a lot of light & the more sun they get the better color & growth ...
    Below is a link to a pic of the CFL bulb I use for my Nep cuttings, it works great, but it's kind of pricey / About $60 / Probably not worth it for one VFT... LOL...

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:545442}}

• suxatgrowingvft
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks!

• suxatgrowingvft
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, please post your pictures of a vft setup, because i put my stickin' plant in a tray of water, and it just sucks it all up! Now the vft is turning brown!

• mcantrell
    15 years ago

It is probably in shock, I would leave it alone for now. Cutting off all it's leaves was a huge blow to it's health.

Where are you at? In nature, they are usually dormant right now so wouldn't be doing much.

• suxatgrowingvft
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm inside in Arizona, but it is growing a new trap!!! :D i am soooo happy , the new trap is growing pretty big!!

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus