Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gingerpyro

growing nepenthes tray method

gingerpyro
17 years ago

I was wondering if it would be possible to grow nepenthes particualy nepenthes truncata using the tray method, if the pot they are in is reasonably tall and has a few inches of say sand or gravel at the bottom, (thoughly washed to remove salts, pests ect) so as to provide good drainage to avoid the soil becoming boggy while still providing a constant regular surply of water?

Comments (9)

• fly_traper
    17 years ago

i would say that you want to stay away from the they methed with neps.

• petiolaris
    17 years ago

Generally speaking, the genus isn't fond of sitting in a container of water. However, from experience, N. sanguinea can do so. From what I have read, N. ventricosa can. From speculatiun, the common hybrid called, N. ventrata may.... but mine sits in a planter and watered once or twice a week.

• gingerpyro
    Original Author
    17 years ago

ok thanks wasn't going to try it unless someone had, had success with this method. I didn't mean so that it sat in water it was so the tray provided a reservoir for the medium and a layer of very well draining sand, perlite or some substitute would prevent the medium from getting overly moist but thanks all the same for the advice.

• hunterkiller03
    17 years ago

Last year, when I visited Peter D'amato's(the auther of his book: Savage Garden) Nursery. I was blown away that he had most of his Nepenthes both highland and lowland growing in tray method along with his sarracenias, sundews and they look way more then fine. So I've been keeping my highland N. truncata i bought from them growing this way as that's how they had it in their nurseries. It's still doing just fine. One thing I did saw was he has its growing medium in one part sphagnum moss and perlite. So that may be the trick, in other words it needs good drainage for its root. I say experiment a little but with caution.

Good Luck

• FlytrpL8E
    17 years ago

Hey there Hunter,
    since I mix most of the nepenthes mix,I have to disagree with your observation on the mix.
    We use 1 part perlite , 1 part lava rock(you can substitute pumice for the lava rock) 1 part fern fiber, 1 part vermiculite 1 part LFSM. We omit the lava rock and add more perlite for mail order, to make the shipping weight less.Sometimes also use some small orchid bark to the mix.
    The trays they are sitting in are usually very shallow,less than an inch deep. This jest keeps the humidity increased and helps them pitcher better.
    In my experience, most nepenthes root systems never make it to the bottom of the pot
    Thanx for listening
    Lois

• hunterkiller03
    17 years ago

Hey thanks for clearing that out Lois, I was a little confused. You may have saved some my neps I'm experimenting on from that confusion, that clears some thing up. I was quite excited that day and obviously assumed wrong. Thanks for the receipt of the soil mix. Hope to visit again soon.

Cheers!

• joeb004
    17 years ago

I think it's fine. I used to use the tray method exclusivly for my Neps; never had any problems with it. Then I read that it was bad and I went away from it. Now I am back to the tray method, because it seems to be best...especially with my growning so many of them without a terrarium now (and MN is pretty dry when it's below zero).

In my mix I use perlite, LFS, a peat moss, orchid bark, and charcoal. I leave them in the water tray and when the water is completely gone I fill it back up. I can't even remember the names of all the species I have right now.

Good luck!
    Joe

• FlytrpL8E
    17 years ago

Hey there Hunter,
    Your welcome, glad I could help.

Joe
    sounds like a good mix.I know a lot of people who use charcoal in their nep potting mix.
    Lois

• petiolaris
    17 years ago

Whaddya all think of a mix of sand and peat, with LFS and pine needles on top? That's my all natural approach!

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner