Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bog?

Posted by kamiljablo 6 (kamiljablo@sbcglobal.net) on
Sun, Jan 25, 09 at 21:51

I want to build 2 mini bogs out of pots. What plants can I leave outside in the winter that I can put in the bogs?

Kamil

PS: I live in zone 6

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bog?

That's a tough question. It really depends on how big your minibog is going to be, if you're going to embed it into the ground a bit, etc.

Off the top of my head:

Cobra Lily -- I have heard this can survive down to -20C, well below freezing and way beyond what you'll see in Zone 6.
Just about any American Pitcher Plant except S. oreophila but S. purpurea in particular (S. purpurea grows in Canada)
D. filiformis (any variety except "Florida all red", which does not go dormant)
D. intermedia \
D. anglica ---- These 3 grow in Canada, Europe, etc. Idaho, where I live, is mostly zones 4 to 6, and all 3 of these grow outdoors here.
D. rotundifolia /
Dionaea muscipula (Venus Flytrap)

I currently have a 12" pot of 3 S. leucophylla (2 typical and 1 'Judith Hindle' hybrid) that appear to be surviving just fine, as well as a 6" pot of S. purpurea, and a 4" pot of S. purpurea ssp venosa (I believe). They appear to be doing just fine, and aren't loosing too much color. I won't know for sure until next spring. I am in Twin Falls, ID, zone 5 or 6 depending on who you ask.

I did have 2 pots of VFT but I did not winterize them at all and they did kick the bucket -- one was hurting before I put it out, another just froze solid due to the extremely tiny pot size. I have every intention of trying again later this year with a bigger, more winter-ready, pot.

I have purchased a few styrofoam insulated pots from Flytrapranch to see if that helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here