Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
byron_1

Drosera Venusta Sundew

byron_1
16 years ago

Does any one knows how to propagate D. Venusta?

Do they need other plants, or can they make seeds by themselves like many other Droseras.

Comments (6)

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

{{gwi:546534}}

I have mine sitting at awindow sill, on a rack, open tray method. The above picture was when it was briefly outside. Not a fussy plant.

• hunterkiller03
    16 years ago

IÂve read that most Âwooly sundews, like paradoxas and broomensis, need an unrelated clone to cross polinate. They canÂt produce seeds with related clones. IÂve have several related paradoxas sundew and I canÂt get them to produce any viable seeds from them at all, no matter how many flowers they have.

• byron_1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You need to change the media. You have to much slime around that seedling and it affecting its growth. You should replant the plant in fresh soil, if you want, with healthy live spagnum moss on top.

• hunterkiller03
    16 years ago

Sorry for my mistake about D. venusta, I thought it was one of the wooly sundews from Australia. Forget what I said, this is the first time I gave a bad advice because I forgot!

Did a little research and saw the sundew is from Africa. How did I mistake it for the Australian species? IâÂÂm beginning to forget things. Proof that IâÂÂm starting to get old? :-p

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

Here's another picture of the plant, a few months before taking it outside:

{{gwi:546535}}

I do have a few baby plants in the pot, possible the result of its flowering. But then again, I also have D. capensis popping up all over the place!

• byron_1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, that is some good news to hear. I have D. Capensis and D. Capillaris, and they both reproduce by themselves.

I see the little guys! You have got a nice healthy plant.

A good trick for those that are new in growing CPs. If you grow them with live spagnum moss. If the spagnum moss is healthy and not slimy chances are your plant will also be healthy. Try to change the soil as soon as it becomes slimy wash that pot with very hot water for a while before placing fresh media.

Sometimes slime attacks my terrarium plants and that is when they start to grow bad. For some reason, I have not seen slime growing in my media for about a year. I think that it might be because my carbon filter in my reverse osmosis filter is no longer working so the water I water my plants contains just a little bit of clorox from the tap water, enough to kill the slime or at least prevent it from growing.

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21