Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lostboygarden

Drosera capensis not creating dew

lostboygarden
10 years ago

I just got a sundew last week and I'm worried about it. I have it in a terrarium under a flourecent light and a 60 watt dome light shining in the side of it mainly for heat but also for additional light. I'm running 17.5 hour days.

How long should I keep my lights on per day?

Every chance I get I'm spraying water in the terrarium to keep the humidity up. I watered it and drenched the soil in distilled water as soon as I got it and there is a small amount of water on the base of the terrarium.

That would be considered using the "tray method", correct?

Day temperatures in there are 65-75F and night temperatures are about 60. The lid of the terrarium is open on the one side. I take the lid off a few times a day to wiggle the pieces of cricket on two leaves in hopes that it will digest them but it's been days and nothing has happened.

Should I take off the crickets and wait until my plant creates dew to put them back on, or will my plant just digest them when it starts producing dew?

I feel that I'm giving my plant the perfect environment but she still isn't happy enough to eat the food I'm giving her haha.

What am I doing wrong?

This post was edited by LostBoyGarden on Sun, Jan 12, 14 at 23:28

Comments (3)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH