Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamieklarman

Question on dormancy

jamieklarman
16 years ago

Hello,

I am a new to the world of CP's. I have been doing a lot of reading thru the posts and need a little more help. I recently bought a set of 12 bare root plants on ebay. Here are the plants I am starting with:

Pitcher Plants - S. purpura, S. rubra

Venus Fly Trap - Dionaea

Sundew - D. alicia, D. intermedia, D. spatulata-ssp frasier island, D. dielsiana, D. bifinada, D. sessifolia, D. capensis, D. filiformis, D. tokaiensis

I prepared a 50/50 mix of peat/silica sand and potted the plants in 3 inch pots, and have them in a sunny window. My plan is to grow the fly traps and pitcher plants outside starting in the spring. My question is, should I get the fly traps out of the sun now and give them dormancy time until the middle of March? And, should I also get any of these Sundews out of the sun to allow a dormancy period? I also have a new potted Pinguicula primuliflora, same question? I just want to make sure I get these guys off to a good start.

Comments (4)

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

The Drosera capensis is sub-tropical that can be grown indoors in room temperature year round. They do like intense light up to full sun.

The problem with dormancy concerns should be addressed with the previous owner since the plants that do go dormant should already be in dormancy now. If the previous owner had the plants under artificial light for over 12 hours a day then the temperates will not be dormant. Email the previous owner and ask them what conditions they had the plants in before you got them so you know what condition they are in now. If they have not been placed in natural or simulated seasonal changes then the temperates might not last a year.

Unless the plants are very small, you might think about repotting them into 4-6 inch pots. Some generate rather extensive root systems and will be unhappy if their roots are cramped, growing rather smaller and with potentially deformed leaves.

D. filiformis is a temperate that needs a dormancy as well. D. intemedia could be either tropical or temperate according to sub-species... there are about three different types as with D. spatulata. I would ask the previous owner if the specific cultivars and sub-species of each are tropical or temperate so you can make plans for them separately.

Good luck getting all that sorted out... I tend not to trust Ebay for live plant selection unless you really know the individual and they inform you about exactly what you are getting.

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

The D. intermedia, filiformis, binata(?), and intermedia can be treated similarly as the VFT's and Sarracenia. They are all temperate plants and do go through a dormancy. Bring them outside when the temps are going to be consistently above freezing. The rest of he sundews and butterwort do well at window sills, inside, or under artificial lighting, open tray method.

• jamieklarman
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for your replies and feedback. These plants are very young and had been growing under lights from their start per the seller. Because of their small size I believe they will be ok in the 3" pots for this 1st growing season then will go to 5 - 6" pots. Actually the plants themselves started to tell me themselves that they were ready to go dormant. The intermedia and filiformis started to die back and form their hibernacula and the VFT looked to already be in its dormant mode. I gradually transitioned them to my window in the garage along with my S. scarlet belle. The D. binata seems to be happy and has put out a few new leaves over the last few weeks. I believe the small S. purpura and S. rubra are young enough to go without dormancy this year.

I just purchased a RO water filter and am looking to get some lights soon. Can someone recommend a good source for a reasonably priced light? Looking for a 4' T5 (4) tube light.

Thanks again for your help. Jamie

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

If the plants look young then they can go without dormancy for up to a couple years past germination... after that, the temperates really need it usually.

4 foot shop lights can be bought quite cheaply at WalMart and Lowes and lumber stores or other department stores of that type. I bought two twin mounts with 4 40 watt cool white tubes and a Christmas tree light timer for about 24-30 dollars. Works quite well until your collection gets too big and you start using windows and multi tiered shelves. The taller plants (Trumpet pitchers and tall, thin Drosera) will need windows and outdoors to grow properly in general as you would need to place them so close to the lights that they would be cramped.