Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hunterkiller03

Recently purchased U. reniformis.

hunterkiller03
17 years ago

This is my new addition to my recent collection of Utricularia: U. reniformis purchased at ebay a month ago, U. reniformis is a fast grower.

{{gwi:546629}}

It consisted only the underground runner and one dieing leaf when I got it, now it has sprouted five new leaves. The 2 big ones the petiole is 5-inches long and the bean shape leaf is 2-inches across. I wonder if this could be the cultivar Big Sister?

{{gwi:546630}}

As you can see, reniformis isnÂt alone on the pot, growing with it is D. capensis Âalba and D. tokaiensis, the latter is the popular sundew that is frequently sold at Home Depot and Lowes in this small 3-inch pots. I was planning to remove them but never got around of doing it.

{{gwi:546632}}

Again IÂm trying my philosophy of not growing my plants in terrariums so I have it growing along with my nepenthes and my pygmy sundews on my bookshelf. The media IÂm using for my U. reniformis is basically a layer of pumice, followed by a layer of a mixed of perlite and long fiber sphagnum, then a top layer of live Florida sphagnum moss (also purchased at ebay last summer, it tolerates heat easily).

Because the window of my room are shaded by trees, all my plants are illuminated by clamp-lamps using florescent light bulbs purchased at Wal-Mart and supposedly the bulbs emit a light spectrum similar to sunlight. But I made sure that they are at least 2200 candles. This is my simple setup and for now the plants seems to be doing fine.

Comments (5)

Sponsored