Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skumboss

HELP! my nepenthes is out of control

skumboss
18 years ago

I have a very large Nepenthes cociana (spelling?) that takes up too much room in my green house. If I prune it down to a woody stem, will it grow from the dormant nodes and/or shoot a new growth from the base. Will this also encourage the remaining plants to pitcher better?

Joe

Comments (12)

• back2eight
    18 years ago

I had to cut a nepenthes down to nothing due to it being left outside and killed by frost. It is literally about an inch of just stem. New growth is pushing up out of the soil around this stem, and from a couple of the nodes that are left. So I guess the answer is yes, new growth should come from both places. You can cut the stem down, too, don't just cut off the leaves. I have no idea if that will help it pitcher better. I wouldn't think that it would. The proper sunlight, soil, water, etc. will make it pitcher, and some weak fertilizer maybe. If you do stem cuttings, you can offer them for sale/trade here on this forum. Don't just throw them away!

• skumboss
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Cool, thanx for the info. I planned on doing a little trading seeing as I have about fifteen cuttings, 4 that are all ready established from the first time I cut it so lemme know if you have anything to trade.

• back2eight
    18 years ago

Well, the only thing I have right now that needs pruning is nepenthes alata. I could send a cutting or two if you want one of those.

• skumboss
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I would rather exchange established cuttings just in case you get a bad one or vise versa. Also it's very cold here right now. I'll probably wait till spring to start mailing plants so they might even have pitchers by then.

• FlytrpL8E
    18 years ago

Hey there Joe,
    I have to put my 2 cents in here.In my experience cutting off the nepenthes does not make the pitchers any bigger.It should put out new growth at one or more of the lower nodes and or put out a new rosette at the bottom.But their is no rhyme or reason, that I know of,which node it will be.
    May I suggest, in case you haven't thought of this , when you receive an unrooted cutting, cut of approx 1/2 inch of stem and immediately plunge it into pure water with a couple of drops of superthrive and soak for about 20 minutes. then dip it in a rooting hormone, preferrably one with a fungucide in it.
    Thanx for listening and keep 'em plants growin'
    Lois

• skumboss
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Lois, you're right, the node that grew was definitly random, I'll keep checking to see if new pitchers form. As for cutting the stem, I usually do 1 leaf cuttings so there isn't much left to cut. I just scar the base and dip it in rooting hormone. With how stupid the mail is sometimes, I'm very leary of sending unrooted cuttings, I've seen what they do to healthy established specimens.

Thanks for the helpful insight

Joe

• phil1
    18 years ago

I also grow nepenthes and cutting it back here in the next monthe and putting 3-4 node cuttings into perlite or vermiculite mix would make ample new plants for trades. I don't have any nepenthes to trade right now but I have lots of other greenhouse and outdoors. I do have some neoregelia, Billbergia and Aechmea available though.

• back2eight
    18 years ago

I got some unrooted cuttings in the mail, and I recently cut my n. alata down, too. I checked the botton of them yesterday to see if any roots had started growing, and they haven't. The tips were actually turning black, which I did not take to be a good sign. I cut the black parts off and stuck them back in the sphagnum moss. I have rooted other plants fine but this is my first time with a nepenthes. Am I doing something wrong? I have had awesome luck with my nepenthes plants, but this is the first time I had to do a cutting. I have one that I cut down to nothing due to it being left outside and getting killed by frost and it is coming back like crazy. I wonder why these cuttings are not rooting?

• skumboss
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I had problems with ends rotting my first try at cuttings too, but don't worry. I'm not sure what actually helped my problem, but... Dipping the ends in a fungicide will help prevent rot. Dipping in a rooting powder will promote root growth so they root before they rot, and misting the leaves, yet keeping the soil not to damp will also prohibit rotting. I believe the biggest impact was the hormone powder. Although no matter what you do, or how meticulous you are when you do it, some cuttings just aren't going to make it, a dsmall percentage will usuall y die. One I've never had luck with is a 2" tip cutting which is supposed to be the best cutting you can do. Hope this helps, lemme know if it does and we can trade plants.

Joe

• FlytrpL8E
    18 years ago

Kristie.
    Patience my friend. No fair looking at nepenthes cuttings for at least 4 months. the bottoms do turn black and split, then the black roots come out from the stem where the splits occurred. if the top is still green the cutting is probably still viable.
    Even if a new rosette has started to form at a leaf node, wait another couple of months to check for roots.
    it can take up to 6 months for some nepenthes to develop roots.
    Thanx for listening and keep 'em plants growin'
    Lois

• back2eight
    18 years ago

Thanks! I had no idea it would take up to six months to develop roots! Wow, I knew neps were slow growing, but that's really slow. I'll keep watering them and hope for the best!

• nepenthes_ceasar
    16 years ago

i have a bladderwort that is getting a bit to big for the tank is in. i would trade that along with any nuisance extra plants i get for my birthday. sound like a healthy plant. do the cuttings have pitchers? does the plant have pitchers?

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida