Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peachymomo_gw

I think ants must be more nutritious than fungus gnats

peachymomo
12 years ago

I've had a pitcher plant in my greenhouse for a few years to help control the fungus gnat population, it always did okay but was growing very slowly. A few months ago some Argentine ants found there way to it, I don't know how since it's hanging by a wire, but they found it and have been industriously trying to steal the nectar. At first I tried a couple of non-poisonous methods to get rid of them but it only stymied them for a bit until they found a way around or over whatever I did. So I gave up and decided to see who came out ahead - the ants stealing nectar or the plant eating the ants who were unsuccessful.

After about a month with ants supplementing it's diet my pitcher plant put on a growth spurt unlike anything I've seen from it before, and now three months later it looks like it's doubled in size, it has twice as many pitchers, four new vines have appeared and are growing quite quickly, and the leaves are generally healthier and happier looking. My conclusion was that the ants must be giving the plant more nutrition than the fungus gnats were, because I haven't made any other changes to it's environment or care.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Comments (2)

Sponsored