Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

Venturing Back Into The World Of CP's :)

moonwolf_gw
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

I've strayed away from CP's for a little while but I've been thinking about growing them again. Even if it means giving up some of my other houseplants. Before, I grew a couple VFT's, some Sundews (a Cape and a rotundiflora), a Butterwort (P. primulflora) and a couple Sarracenias (flava and purpurea).

California Carnivores is where I got most of my plants before (some came from Lowe's or Wal-Mart). The one plant I'm thinking of trying is Nepenthes ventricosa. I've never grown them before, but Nepenthes, I think, are just downright gorgeous.

Here are some of the plants that I'm interested in.

Dionaea "B52"

Drosera capensis

Nepenthes ventricosa

Sarracenia purperea ssp. venosa

Sarracenia x "Judith Hindle"

The "B52" is the one I'm most interested in. Come springtime, it's time to buy some carnivorous plants!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (5)

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    12 years ago

Hi Brad! Welcome back to the world of CPs! Nepenthes are easy. Bright light, keep moist but do NOT keep them in a water tray like other CPs. They do great in a south of west window indoors in the winter but outside in bright defused Sun outside during the growing season. They are easy to start from cuttings as well.
    The Capensis can be grown all year indoors. The others need a dormant period in winter. 3-4 months of just above freezing temps. I put mine in the fridge just before first frost in October. They come near the end of February.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Tommy,

Thank you! I have a perfect south window for the Nepenthes :). I belive the Drosera would do well there too. When I grew the Sarracenias and the VFTs, I placed them at the back door in the fall and winter, which is drafty. We have an unheated shed as well that I could put them in as well. It has a small window so they would get some light. Now the Sarracenia and VFT's, could I put someplace where they would get full sun? They did fine like that before.

I wouldn't mind having a Butterwort in my collection as well, but California Carnivores only has P. primulflora at the moment. P. grandiflora or longifolia are two that I like.

I also have to remember to start buying distilled water again when we go grocery shopping. I think I might know what to say when mom and dad ask me what I want for my birthday: supplies for my new plants! lol

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    12 years ago

My Sarrs and VFTs get NO light in the fridge. Only when I open the door! They do just fine.

Have FUN! Oh, start collecting rainwater too, you can use that as well.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you again, Tommy! I sure will have fun! Hmm, I'll figure something out for their dormancy. As for the rainwater, I sat my plants where they would get some rain before and full sun. Off to look at more plants!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• wildbill
    12 years ago

Hey Brad -

A little bit of a hike for you but well worth it - I wanted to let you (& others) know that this summer the New England Carnivorous Plant Society is hosting the 2012 International Carnivorous Plant Society Meeting.

This will be a totally AWESOME event and is only in the US every 4 years. There will be a huge CP show (open to the public), lectures, CP vendors, and field trips. We are hoping to get Peter or someone from California Carnivores and Sarracenia Northwest to come speak as well.

I remember at the last ICPS meeting in Frostburg, Andreas Wistuba from Germany brought many cool & rare things for sale. I scored a N. macrophylla, N. hamata, & a few helis. The NECPS will have a society plant sale table as well - and you just NEVER know what will show up there.

For more info, you can visit the website.

Here is a link that might be useful: New England Carnivorous Plant Society

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County