Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
nepenthes in winter

Posted by johny2008 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 18, 08 at 12:45

My house temps. in winter seem to adverage in the low sixties for daytime and the mid fifties for the nighttime. I'm still abit weary upon how this will effect my highland nepenthes. is this an okay temperature range for highland nepenthes in the wintr? my summer temps seem to be fine though, going into the high seventies in the day and the high fifties at night.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: nepenthes in winter

I grow N. ventricosa, which is an "easy" highland species, in my basement under fluorescent lights, year round. In the winter the temps would run about 65F by day, and upper 50's at night. The plants have been fine with that for several years now.

o

Hi johny2008, your highland nepenthes will do fine with those temps. Here's a quote from http://cobraplant.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=32&zenid=6f3c421a8985c7a49f467ceca3eef647 about there temp range, "Many highland Nepenthes prefer daytime temperatures of 65 - 90F (18 - 32C) and nighttime temperatures of 45 - 65F (7 - 18C). However, most will adapt to warm temperatures throughout the day. If new leaves become progressively smaller than the older leaves, you will need to find a way to cool down your plant at night". Though your daytime temps could be a bit higher, you night temps are on the money. You should be alright.
Good luck:)

o

You'll be fine. Mine get down to 64-65F. daytimes and late night. I keep them in a South and west window.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here