Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pennys2006

germinating vft seeds

pennys2006
17 years ago

Hi i have been given some vft seeds which were brought in one of those dreaded gift sets.

I was wondering do they need a cold period first?

I have read that they don't,and that they don't if they are fresh and that they do. Can anyone tell me which is the correct methord,and they have probably been sat on some self for ages so i don't think they will be any where near fresh.

THANKS FOR ANY INPUT

Comments (4)

• petiolaris
    17 years ago

They do not require a cold stratification. Fresh is the best, so their viability is suspect. How are you approaching germination?

• pennys2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well i have sprinkled them on some peat moss and watered with rain water and placed them in a bag on my heat mat, the room is my plant room and does have a few roof windows but is'nt flooded with light.

Is this right or am i really far of the mark.Do you know how long they might take?

I have grown all other types of cp's from seeds but i actually didnt do much just threw them on some moss and on the heat mat and in each pot i have a good few hundred seedlings.
    I think they must of been very fresh or very easy to germinate.

I have now got the vft bug thought and really want to germiante my own,maybe i will stand a better chance of fresh seed.
    My vft plant is sending up a flower stalk but really don't want to lose the plant for seeds as i am not even sure i can pollinate it succesfully.

Do you know where i might be able to buy or trade some fresh seeds?

Thanks for the advice and please if i havent answered soon check in next week as i'm off on holiday tomorrow but would love to hear any other info you have.

Thanks so much lets hope i am succesful with curing the bug.

• petiolaris
    17 years ago

From what I have read of others attempting VFT seed germination, what you are doing meets the general conditions. Everybody has their own particular variation on a theme. I would add that if you have them under fluorescent lighting and in live LFS, that would help.

The ICPS seedbank is another source of VFT seeds, (but they may not be fresh)as well as forum folks. VFT seeds are more challenging to germinate than most CP seeds, particularly when compared to many of the sundews. I have more success with sprouting clusters of baby plants through leaf pullings than through seeds. Seeds are consistently inconsistent with germination percentages and times. We're talking several weeks and maybe a few, if one doesn't know for sure how fresh they are. I got a whopping 2 to germinate from a batch given to me by a California hobbyist.
    Would you like guidance for leaf pullings? Are you also intersted in sundews or butterworts or bladderworts?

• petiolaris
    17 years ago

I just realized something... you're from the UK. I know of sources, from forum friends, who live in the UK. If you'd like, you can Email me for names of retail places and British hobbyists.