Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ccoombs1

How do you manage the moisture needs of potted sarracenia?

ccoombs1
13 years ago

I decided the time had finally come to tear my bog apart and divide everything. The bog had become very full with sarracenia and there was a sedge weed that I have been unable to eradicate so I decided to split all the plants up and maybe sell a few on Ebay or trade for varieties I did not have. Well, I have ended up with over 500 4" pots of sarracenia. I still have 3 large clumps I can't do anything with because I have no more space! I have the pots in sturdy plastic Coke crates sitting in a large tub and two horse troughs. There has got to be a much better way of managing these plants! How do the carnivorous plant nurseries do it? I really want to divide those last 3 plants but I know I'll end up with over 100 more plants from those 3. Plus I still have to pot up the sundew and VFTs. Help!! and Thanks!

Cindy

Comments (15)

• lycopus
    13 years ago

A misting system would do the job, assuming your water is suitable. I don't have nearly that many plants so I just have mine sitting in shallow water in containers and terrariums.

• Hegory
    13 years ago

Holy smokes! what varieties do you have? I agree with lycopus, when you have that many plants your best bet would probably be to mist. speaking of bog gardens do you think it is possible to have one in Utah?

• ccoombs1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The water here is fantastic for these plants. the pH is 5.5 to 6.0 out of the tap with no hardness or alkalinity. My koi ponds hate it...these pitcher plants love it though!! I don't know that I could use a mist though, it would freeze in the winter. I might just order a bunch of nursery 1020 trays and put them on pallets in the sun. I can keep those full pretty well.

• petiolaris
    13 years ago

Lycopus, are you anywhere near Buffalo, specifically, East Aurora?

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Use kiddie pools.

• taz6122
    13 years ago

They don't need much water in the winter tho. Too much will damage the rhizomes.

• ccoombs1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'd love to use kiddy pools but can't get them this time of year. I guess I could just hold off dividing the few I have left until Walmart gets the pools in stock. Kiddy pools probably would be the best way to go. Thanks!

• ccoombs1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh....that's a good thought. I better check what they are in then....they might already be getting too much water in there. Maybe I'll just set up some pallets now and water them good once a week. Will that be enough for them? I have a hose that I keep tricking all the time any (for koi pond water changes) so I can water them with that hose.

• lycopus
    13 years ago

Petiolaris, I am closer to Syracuse

• taz6122
    13 years ago

The moisture content of the soil should be something like a wrung out sponge. I wouldn't do more than mist the soil surface when it feels dry. They are dormant right? Cold and wet = rot.

• petiolaris
    13 years ago

We're about 150 miles apart.

• taz6122
    13 years ago

You guys gonna hook up??

• florida_guy_26
    13 years ago

I'd say use kiddie pools in the summer and depending how many and what size pots you have, you can use anything from an inch or 2 in 4" pots, to 4-6" in gallon size pots. Also, for winter weather, they usually sell the plastic water pans that catch excess water for bigger planters so you can get one or a few of those and fill it with just a cm or 2 of water for winter so they can get some moisture. I would also check out the harder, heavy duty plastic planter bases that catch water they sell at lowes and home depot that come in terra cotta, stone or light cream colors and are a few inches high to keep just enough water in the pots in winter. I did contact the woman who works at cobra plants and she told me that their sarracenia stay out in very cold weather all winter and don't flinch as long as their is some available moisture. The thing that kills plants is the drying out when everything freezes, so they may need to be covered or insulated if they are outside in winter, but as long as temps stay above 20F the plants seem to do fine as long as there is some moisture. I hope that helps.

• petiolaris
    13 years ago

Too far away...

• taz6122
    13 years ago

I was being sarcastic. We really need a sarcasm font. A sissy font would be good too.

Sponsored