Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txbelle

Butterwort Info

txbelle
15 years ago

Can anyone tell me the type of Butterwort most often sold at Home Depot? I bought one about a month ago and currently have it under florescent lighting and high humidity, but I need to know what type of Butterwort this is to give it the best care. The leaves appear mid-green. It's currently growing in a 2" pot over a wet pebble tray. I've placed an inverted clear plastic glass over the top of the pebble tray (with a breathing hole at the top) and the plant has added 2 new leaves since I got it. However, I do not see any dew or sticky substance on the surface of the leaves. I'm currently feeding it tiny gnats after I swat them. Does the plant have to mature before it secretes dew on it's leaves? THANKS for any info you can give me.

Comments (4)

• ltecato
    15 years ago

IDing those Lowe's pings can be tricky. Some folks have gotten P. primuliflora, others have gotten different species. I have about five Pings that I've bought from Lowes or other stores, either in "death cubes" or the round containers. About the only thing I know for sure is that they are not primuliflora. Based on what others have told me, my plants act like the Mexican species. If I grow them outdoors without a dome over them, they don't do well in standing water ("tray method") and appear to prefer a gritty, fast-draining soil mix. I have other plants growing inside a clear plastic container I made into a terrarium, and they look completely different than the ones exposed to the elements. Their leaves are elongated, whereas the exposed plants have small, round leaves in a rosette.

Sorry for being so longwinded... Bottom line, if your plants are OK for the time being, I wouldn't change anything yet. Wait till you can nail down the species and get more info about their requirements. Another thing, you don't have to feed them gnats. I'd wait till summer, then put them outside. They'll catch plenty of food then. But my terrarium pings do fine without any bugs to eat.

• hunterkiller03
    15 years ago

If the plant was inside a dome cup - 3 inc pot, the seller is from Gubler Orchids of Landers, CA. Gublers used to sell P. lutea but havenÂt seen that particular species sold for some time. But Gublers have been selling P. primuliflora & Mexican pings. One in particular I identified by its leaves and flower characteristics is P. x ÂPirouetteÂ. They seem to have decided to sell Mexican pings & I recently. I can even swear I saw them selling P. agnata and P. cyclosecta (I could hit myself for not buying them  they were gone!)

These 2 plants do require different media to grow. P. primuliflora like their media very moist if not waterlogged. I grow them in a mixture of long-fiber sphagnum moss mixed with half of perlite to keep it from compacting. They like to grow in a media that is loose for their roots. Often in the wild they grow in very wet mats of sphagnum moss and are often submerged. P. primuliflora rosette is 4 inches in diameter, leaves long and yellow-green.

Mexican ping & their hybrids, I grow them in a mixture of 1 part of each of silica sand, vermiculite, perlite, pumice or zeolite (volcanic rocks), and sphagnum peat moss. These plants often grow in shale like soil in the wild and grow in drier conditions. So I allow my Mexican pings media to dry out between watering.

IÂm wouldnÂt be surprised you may have bought a Mexican ping and is most likely P. x ÂPirouette because this particular hybrid is dam easy to grow. So if you cant grow this one, do not try any other Mexican species or hybrids until you learn how. This plant rosette is usually 3 to 4 inches in diameter, leaves are arrow shape, slightly ruffled or wavy leaf edge, & succulent and usually light lemon green in color. But under bright light, the leaves will acquire a reddish ting.

Hope this helps

Cheers!

P. x ÂPirouetteÂ
    {{gwi:547096}}

P. x ÂPirouetteÂ
    {{gwi:547097}}

Unknown Mexican ping
    {{gwi:547098}}

P. primuliflora
    {{gwi:547099}}

• txbelle
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hmmm - thanks so much for the helpful pictures. The one I have does not look like P. Primuliflora. It looks more like a Mexican ping. I'm going to take my camera to work (where I have the plant) and take a picture of it. Can you tell me if and when it is likely to secrete a sticky substance on it's leaves? I have a Sundew that's growing like crazy and has developed "dew" and this little Butterwort. This is the first time I've grown C. plants. I mostly stick to Orchids. Also, when do Butterworts flower? I seem to think it should be in the spring. THANKS for your help and great information.

• petiolaris
    15 years ago

I'm surprised that it wasn't a primuliflora. Looking forward to seeing a picture. Just an educated guess but it is most likely going to be a P. moranensis. It is also likely weak from being cooped up and unwittingly neglected by the personnel, as are all CP's sold at Home Depot / Lowes / Walmart etc... Given ditilled water and either good windowsill lighting or Fluorescent light, in time, you will see the "grease" appear on the newly emerging leaves. A magnifying glass would help. Here's a P. moranensis for comparison:

{{gwi:547100}}

{{gwi:547102}}

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner