Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cpnewby

My sundew has bugs?? yuck!

cpnewby
15 years ago

This morning when I added more water to my plants and squirted some water over the top of their soil, i saw something move by the sundew leaves. Sure enough this tiny tiny little bug had run out of the water and up onto one of the "stems". In the water around the outside of the plant all these little bugs were popping around. They seemed to be trying to get away from the water. I drained the water from the outsdie bowl and wiped away any bugs I could find.

What should I do to help keep bugs away? And oddly enough my pitcher plant right next to the sundew doesn't seem to have anything in it (*crossing my fingers*).

This is an older picture of them from around christmas, but their set up in the plastic bowls is the same. The sundew is bigger now, seems to be flourishing. The pitcher plant has one dying pitcher left and a few baby ones growing.

{{gwi:547118}}

Comments (11)

• ltecato
    15 years ago

Bugs that run around like you described are usually not a problem. I'd worry more about caterpillars, mealybugs, aphids, scale and snails.

Do a little homework. Look up "fungus gnat." If that is what you're dealing with, they'll be tasty treats for your sundew. If you are growing these plants indoors, it's very likely they are fungus gnats.

• cpnewby
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am indeed growing them indoors only since I live in the mountains and there's snow outside right now :) The fact that they are indoors is what bothers me more about the bugs than the threat to the sundew itself. The sundew does not appear to be consuming them either.

I looked up fungus gnats, and while it makes sense that that's what they are, i can't clearly see wings on them, and they seem more to "pop" around than to fly. I tried to get one to take a picture of, even though they are tiny. and it sprung away in about 1/2 a second, not like the weak flying they describe about fungus gnats.

In any case, how do I get rid of whatever they are while maintaining suitable moisture for my plants? there is something moss like looking growing in the soil with the sundew, but it doesn't look like fungus.

my pitcher plant also has some weed type thing in with it but it looks totally different, and no bugs there yet thankfully.

• cpnewby
    Original Author
    15 years ago

so I just dumped out the water from my pitcher plant bowl, and what was under the pitcher plant?? a worm! about two inches long! now where the heck did that come from??

• hunterkiller03
    15 years ago

The little bugs sound like springtails, they usually consume fungi and dead plant matter. Nice plants by the way.

but what cosernse me is the number of springtails that pop out, have a few isnÂt a concern but when you have too many popping out from the base of the plant. Add to the fact you found a worm at the bottom of your cape sundew is bad. Worm transform the growing media of a CP by releasing nutrients and changing the acidity of the soil to a more alkiline media. Both deadly to CPs. It makes me wonder, what type of soil are you using for both your plants?

• cpnewby
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have them in the soil that they came in from California carnivores. I haven't changed anything, and i use distilled water. I can understand the bugs in the sundew bc of the extremely moist environment (I don't actually understand how everyone doesn't end up with a problem?), and I still don't know how to fix the problem? do i let it dry out some?
    The worm I found in the bottom of the pitcher plant bowl, not in the sundew also, but obviouslly it came out of the plant's soil.
    The pitcher plant seems to still be growing and doing alright. The new pitchers are not growing very fast but I'm not familliar with how long they take to develop.

• ltecato
    15 years ago

I think HK's right about the bugs being springtails.

• hunterkiller03
    15 years ago

You know... I should proof read my posts... "cosernse" :-p

Anyways, depending how long you had your plants. But I would advice not to change the soil anytime soon for your cape sundew.

A nep, after it recovers from their shock... usualy takes about a month for a trap to mature fully. Depending on the species of course.

Moss sometimes does sprout from the soil and sometime it is sphagnum moss.

letting it dry out to get rid of the bugs is not good at all for your sundew. The best to get rid of the bugs is simply changing its growing media, wich is one part sphagnum peat moss & one part perlite. Make sure to read the package that it doesn't contain wetting agents or any type of fertilizer.

One way I heard of getting rid of the bugs is simply submerging the pot in distilled water to drown them. That will ruined the traps of the sundew but it will recover.

That is as much I can advice, maybe someone else has a better idea. Other then that, springtails wont harm your plants but understand why you want to get rid of them.

• cpnewby
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanx for the info. For the sundew I may try the drowning method. I don't see them running on the plant itself very much, so if I stood there to watch them come up and made sure they weren't all retreating to the plant for safety, maybe it will work.

Were you suggesting I change the soil of the pitcher plant to make sure I don't have any more worms?

• hunterkiller03
    15 years ago

It depends how long you had them, if they are recovering from the shock.

When you change, the soil. Maek sure you don't disturb the soil around its roots.

But I wonder the reason the worm crawled out of the pot was trying to find a dry place. They drown in water so was the worm you found dead?

• cpnewby
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've had the plants for almost 3 months now (since early december). I'm pretty sure I saw the worm move in the water so I don't think it was dead. That plant is always sitting in at least a little water, so it is strange that the worm would go down and not up to get out to a dry place.

• hemnancy
    14 years ago

It is a myth that earthworms drown in water. Check out google or the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: earthworms

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio