Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kwuikhelp

Venus Flytrap help

kwuikhelp
17 years ago

I just bought my VFT at Walgreens yesterday and i didn't get much info.Any advice like direct or indirect sunlight and other things needed?

Comments (9)

• petiolaris
    17 years ago

VFT's NEED lots of light! They do best when kept outdoors, with direct sunlight. They do well for awhile under artificial lighting, but require a winter dormancy period. The love a sand/peat/ LFS (long fibered sphagnum) mix, well drained.

• kwuikhelp
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ok any chance anyone know where i can buy some peat moss and some sand

• xymox
    17 years ago

You can obtain peatmoss and sand at local hardware stores such as Home Depot, Lowes or Walmart.

If you're thinking of obtaining sand, make sure it's "play sand" and wash it well. just ask any store clerk.

I use a mixture of peatmoss with perlite. my mixture i use for my VFTs is:

50% peatmoss +50% perlite.

and they grow fine.

be careful when transplanting your plant into new media. always make sure to keep its soil moisten at all times during this time of year. Grow your vft outside in a sunny location or in a sunny windowsill.

your plant may get 4-6 hours of direct sunlight during the growing season(February through Late October) flytraps grow much better outdoors than in a terrarium.

so...

1)transplant your plant(if you choose to transplant it)

2)water your plant to keep its soil moisten at all times, never allow it to dry out. Use a water saucer or tray and keep the water level high atleast 1 Inch or so. this way, the soil will always remain moisten.

3)keep your flytrap in a sunny location that gives nice amount of bright sunlight.

**within a few weeks, your plant will make new traps. just be patient***

Also, don't bug poking and making its traps close all the times.. you will stress it and may kill it while trying to recover from shock.

### Hope all goes well ### :)

• jonocross
    17 years ago

just a another word of warning. If you transplant it, plan on it possibly dieing. I killed my first vft by transplanting it.

For the most part, if it's growing in the stuff it came in from walmart, then its the right soil mix. Get to know the plant first and wait a season before transplanting it. Thats my advice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aracknight's Deadly Delights

• petiolaris
    17 years ago

While transplanting may cause death, as long as one removes the whole pot (plant and existing soil) as one unit and places the "plug" in a larger. prepared pot, thus not disturbing the roots, and not radically changing the temperature, light, and humidity - then the plant(s) normally won't care or notice. Healthy, adjusted plants can tolerate it.

• kwuikhelp
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ok but ANYONE know where i can actually find peat moss at a store not internet?

• xymox
    17 years ago

you can buy Peatmoss and perlite in local hardware stores such as Home Depot, Lowes or Walmart.

make sure to obtain peatmoss brand "schwultz, lambert or canadian brand"

• kwuikhelp
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Perlite?I thought I needed to use sand.

• xymox
    17 years ago

you can use perlite. sand is not neccesary.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living