Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Miranda cuttings

Posted by sakmeht Zone 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 11, 11 at 17:02

So, it was my first time doing cuttings. Did the research and decided I'd do the bagging method. I have them pinned down in the medium (LFS/perlite) and have the bags over. Now I'm worried about jostling the leaves (which I cut) when I take the bags off to wet the medium. I'm worried the movement will impede root development. Do I just have to be really careful? Any tricks? How long will the medium stay moist under a bag? Everyone's back in the 75 gallon tank I use as their home. I don't add humidity beyond what's in the watering trays. They're getting fluorescent lighting. I thought about not doing the bags, but since I didn't use rooting hormone this time I wanted to give them that extra edge.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Miranda cuttings

I've done then in a terrarium without bags. I don't see where the bags would help anything. The humidity is already over 80%.

o

I don't monitor my humidity, so I don't know what it's at.

o

If there's a lid on your tank it's probably high enough without the bags. If I were using bags I'd put the zipper on top and not use a tank. I just don't understand why you're using both??

o

All right, so maybe I should lose the bags. I guess I'm just thinking that the humidity isn't that high in the tank. The back of the canopy is open to the air so it's not totally enclosed. I want the cuttings to stay moist enough so that it gives the roots time to get going before the cuttings dry out. Zipper on top!! Great idea.

All right, thanks for the thoughts everyone!

o

I lightly mist cuttings to keep them moist. While in a tank that's plenty of moisture.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here