Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtaddshp

Carnivorous desert plants (pics inside)

dirtaddshp
17 years ago

are there any? i have a cactus garden and some succulents but i also want to add some flavor too them with some meat eating plants (-:

heres my garden right now.

{{gwi:496390}}

Comments (14)

• kinka
    17 years ago

I'm sorry but you probably can't grow any carnivorous plants in those conditions. :(

• dirtaddshp
    Original Author
    17 years ago

oh? why not? btw the area has been deweeded since that pic.

• kinka
    17 years ago

One: Depending on the species, that soil would not be appropriate.

Two: Carnivorous plants usually require a lot of water (many are jungle/bog plants) so a desert-like area would not be acceptable.

Three: Depending on the species, carnivorous plants also require a high level of humidity. A desert-like area would not be acceptable for this.

Four: There is no such thing as a "man-eating" carnivorous plant. The largest known CP is Nepenthes Rajah - with traps averaging two feet.

• jonocross
    17 years ago

Ok, I hate to disagree with people but... yes, there may be a carnivore you could add to those conditions.

There are a couple plants that go by the common name "devil's claw". I've never owned one but from what I understand, they should be able to be grown (perhapse with a little help) in those conditions. The unfortunate thing is they're widely thought to be vile things that you probably wouldn't want in your cactus garden. If you're feeling like looking into it however, feel free.

Most other carnivores aren't desert plants. (you may luck out with a dewy pine but I wouldn't count on it. They're a difficult plant.) "most" carnivores grow in bogs or very wet areas. Many of my plants grow in trays of water that always have some water in them. Their roots act as water straws and the plant is thirsty.

Basic CP formula for most carnivorous plants... full sun, lots of water.

This doesn't mean you couldn't set up a bog garden inside your garden though... it may take a little more upkeep than your other plants, but it might be possible.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aracknight's Deadly Delights

• kinka
    17 years ago

You aren't disagreeing, that's why I said "most, depending on the species," and "usually." :)

• dirtaddshp
    Original Author
    17 years ago

yeah i was thinking dewy pine would do good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drosophyllum_lusitanicum

but where can i get one? i havnt seen any in north america.

as for devils claw is this it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proboscidea_%28genus%29

• jonocross
    17 years ago

So what are your thoughts about a self contained bog garden? Do you think the water evaporation in it would increase the humidity enough to get away with it?

I've never tried one in a desert climate so I have no idea, but I do have a Nepenthes rajah I had to put in an aquarium to raise its humidity enough. (that and a pump which causes water to bubble and the droplets to evaporate to bring the humidity to 65+ durring the day and 80ish at night) So, higher humidity in a microclimate is possible.

• jonocross
    17 years ago

ok, here's a link to what the icps has about devils claw.

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/seedbank/seedgermguide.htm

Your best bet may be constructing a bog garden within your garden, then I think your options would open up a little bit more.

• jonocross
    17 years ago

as far as the dewy pine goes...

www.cascadecarnivores.com

Try them, they advertise that they'll ship dewy pine.

again, they're a potentially difficult plant, so be warned.

• hunterkiller03
    17 years ago

I grow my plants here in Arizona but inside a greenhouse in my backyard. The only plants I have growing during the hot summer is Sarracenias, a few woolly sundews (D. paradoxa), and lowland neps. ThatÂs the only way you can grow these plants in the desert.
    {{gwi:547271}}

As you can see, the tree provides shade during the hot afternoon, which had one time reached 125 degrees inside. By then I would have removed most of the delicate plants
    I had growing in the spring time to ealy summer, inside my house. That's the only way you can grow CP in the desert.

• corymbosa
    17 years ago

I would have thought jonocross's suggestion of devils claw would be the most appropriate. The weeds in your picture seem to imply the ground retains some moisture so they should grow. I'm not sure why they're 'widely thought to be vile things'. They're hardly spectacular compared to other carnivorous plants but their's nothing wrong with the plant iteslf per se. They are potentially weedy in some areas so make sure there are no regulations prohibiting you from introducing them into your local area. They might seem a little out of place in a cacti garden but that's up to you to decide.

I'm not convinced Drosophyllum is the best choice. Both the soil and seasonal water requirements of Drosophyllum and most succulents differ.

• huachuma
    17 years ago

There are three species of Proboscidea that grow in the Sonoran Desert near Tucson, one of them is perennial. The claws were/are used as the dark fibers in Tohono O'odham baskets and the very young pods are also eaten. I'm growing two species in my desert garden in the Sacramento area. The flowers are very pretty and look a little like orchids. I'd have to say they could fit in very nicely in a cactus garden, but the plants won't look obviously carnivorus to most folks...

Mike

• garyfla_gw
    17 years ago

Hi
    I'm curious as to why, with all the fantastic types of succulents and cactus there are in the world.would you want to grow CP's??lol You could plant 50 acres with Madagascan species alone Many have fantastic flowers all have weird shapes. In your climate they'd be a snap. gary

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH