Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kwuikhelp

Maroon Red VFT

kwuikhelp
17 years ago

My VFT is Very dark red on the outside and it also looks like the tip of the traps are burnt.Is something wrong with it?Part of it is also yellow.

Comments (5)

• hunterkiller03
    17 years ago

Its normal for a Venus flytrap to get red, even if parts are still green or yellowish. That's what happens when it receives a lot of sunlight. Normally the redness is concentrated at the core of the plant and around the edges, while the rest is pale and green.

But getting burnt tips isn't normal. We need to learn more how you are growing your VFt. How long have you had your VFT? Where are you growing it, inside or outside the house? If it's inside, do you have growing under a lamp?

Let us know to better diagnose what's wrong with your plant.

Good luck.

• kwuikhelp
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ive had this VFT for about a month and i keep it outside but only a single trap has any green on it

• hunterkiller03
    17 years ago

Then there's the possiblilty that it gets too cold outside, even frosted over during the night. That can explain the burnt tips and even that normal ina way. What part of the country do you leave?

I have my plants in my greenhouse and it will get covered with frost inside and this has been a very cold year here in Arizona. Now if you rplant is still activily grown, I suggest taking it inside your house and placing it next to a bright window that receive at least 2 to four hours of sunlight and water it with distilled water. And don't worry if it gets red.

Because you said it has a maroon color, I wonder if you have a variety that's call 'Akai Ryu' or 'Red Dragon' as it normally called.

Hope this helps and let us know how it progresses. Good luck.

• kwuikhelp
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well I am currently in Texas but I think its been pretty warm.

• hunterkiller03
    17 years ago

Sorry I didnÂt respond sooner. If the weather in Texas is like in Arizona, getting very cold during the night almost frosting, then getting quite hot during the day. Your plant may be getting a double whammy, undergoing one extreme to another.

I suggest taking it inside your house and placing it next to a sunny window and make sure its sitting in a water dish to keep it media moist but not waterlogged. These plants donÂt like having their roots dry, even for a moment.

And if you have transplanted it, it may still be into shock. It does take some time to recover. Usually the first traps donÂt mature and are nothing more then little black tips, then they produce small but soon it sprouts normal size trap when it fully recovers.

Hopefully this help. Good luck.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner