Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
beginner

Posted by sjbaby scottsbluff, NE (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 25, 14 at 19:48

my husband has finally taken an interest in plants and is looking at all of these pics and has lots of questions, is there a good online site for buying as there is no where local selling, or some where to see pics of the different types, they would be in door plants but have to be able to take some cold. any and all suggestions are welcome.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: beginner

I'm no expert, but if starting out I suggest you go with something on the easy side ( maintenance wise ). Some plants require a lot of attention, while others can be thrown outside.

Research, research, research.

Research the plant you are going to grow. I've killed off plenty of plants cause of little research.

There's plenty of sites online to buy. You have to search around to find deals. You can also join sites like this and find people to trade with.

For pics, meh just use google.

I throw my plants inside under lights when it gets too cold out. Or leave them outside if they can survive.

o

Google is your friend! TONS of info out there.

As far as sellers there is Sarracenia Northwest, California carnivores, just to name a few.

One place for great info is: http://www.sarracenia.com/faq.html

o

For information there are two books that i highly recommend: Carnivorous Plants of the world and The Savage Garden

For plants:
www.flytraps.com (Cook's Carnivores)
Pros: Very affordable prices, wide selection of species.
Cons: Slightly lower quality, but well worth the lower price! You can find their sales on ebay, as well. Seeds are occasionally sold here, as well.

www.californiacarnivores.com
Pros: Mature, well-established plants that arrive in great shape after shipment.
Cons: Quite expensive, but if you have enough money, go for it! :)

www.carnivorousplantnursery.com
Pros: Among the best selection of rare plants!
Cons: Among the highest prices on the net. Often out of stock

www.pitcherplant.org (Meadowiew)
Pros: Excellent prices for common species
Cons: Limited selection is available, rarer species may be unaffordable. =(

www. cobraplant.com (Sarracenia Northwest)
Pros: Decent selection established and mature plants
Cons: Relatively expensive

www.cascadecarnivores.com
Pros: Quite a nice variety of mature plants at reasonable prices
Cons: Out of stock of rarer varieties most of the year, and moderately expensive for the rarer varieties

www. flytrapshop.com
Pros: Very reasonable prices when in stock
Cons: Extremely small selection of plants

www.flytrapstore.com
Pros: Decent variety
Cons: Some of the varieties can be quite expensive or are out of stock

http://droseragemmae.com/
Pros: Drosera!!!!! large selection of plants and very reasonable price
Cons: inventory are usually out of stock

ebay.com
Pros: Occasionally you can find rarer species offered, from reliable vendors. I bought most of my plant from here
Cons: It is hard to know exactly how reliable the sellers are. Be sure to ask whether the pictures are of the actual plant being sold if there is any discrepancy, and it's always helpful to check that the plants weren't poached if you have any suspicions.

o

I buy most of my plants from carnivorous plant nursery, decent prices great selection but! These are BETTER outdoor plants then indoors one's. ..i kno cause Mine were inside and as soon as i put them outside they are beautiful and so much healthier

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here