Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crylady

Pitcher Plant

crylady
15 years ago

Was given a Pitcher Plant today and know little about them.

I have a 3 year old VFT that is thriving so I guessed this new plant also needs pure water, rain water or snow water and no fertilizer.

Please, someone tell me about this plant. It has at least a dozen pitcher's, is large and red/pink. The tak only says it needs 50% sun/shade and needs to be kept moist. It also said to put 1/2 inch water in the open pitchers which I did.

Now what? thanx in advance. Crylady

Comments (15)

• hunterkiller03
    15 years ago

Is it a North American Sarracenia or is it the tropical Nepenthes?

• crylady
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't know.
    The tqag doesn't say. A web site listed says derooseplants.com but the site is not working.

• petiolaris
    15 years ago

Does it look similar to this?

{{gwi:547538}}

or this?

{{gwi:547539}}

• crylady
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The second photo is the about right. It has green pitchers with red/dark pink throat. The pitcher's dangle down below the green leafed plant.

• hunterkiller03
    15 years ago

When you commented "The pitcher's dangle down below the green leafed plant." That better discribes the 1st pic of that of a tropical pitcher plant Nepenthes. A leaf blade with a long vine, which at the tip of the leaf a vine extends to form a pitcher at the end; and sometimes the pitcher hangs below the leaf of the plant. The N. mirabilis plantlets barely show it but it has a very short vines and as it matures in size, the pitcher will dangle down below the leaf.

Sorry for asking again, the last post describing what you have is confusing.

• crylady
    Original Author
    15 years ago

From your discription I have a mature Nepenthes. Thanx for clearing that up for me.

Now, how to I take care of it? I've had it 3 days and so far so good.

• petiolaris
    15 years ago

More like these?

{{gwi:547540}}

{{gwi:547541}}

The pictures are designed to show ways in which people grow them - hanging basket, planter, terrarium...

They need light, whether it be fluorescent or sunlight through the window. They need media that allows good drainage, like a mix of Perlite, orchid bark, and long fibered sphagnum (all found at Home Depot or Lowes, and the like. They need distilled water (Walmart) that is applied from above so that it drains through. That's pretty much it.

• mcantrell
    15 years ago

Distilled water (required or they die), lots of light (a windowsill is usually fine), decent temperatures (they are tropical plants, don't let them freeze), no fertilizer, mineral free soil (peat moss, perlite, orchid bark, etc)...

Nephs are pretty easy to grow, but they are really prone to ending up in shock. Don't be surprised if yours doesn't do much for a month or 3 while it gets used to it's new home.

• crylady
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Great info, thanx, I'll the best I can.
    Will misting it with distilled water be a way to help or not?

• hunterkiller03
    15 years ago

To my experience, I've used purified water without problems to mist my neps. But as long you don't use it to water their growing media, it should be fine

Just a light spray one in the morning, sometimes in the afternoon, and again in the evening.

Happy growing!

• myorganics
    15 years ago

What usefull information you gave. I too have napenthes. It is huge. However, I have been doing everything wrongly. I have been spraying it with well water and fertilizing it with manure tea.
    The plant could be healthier. The leaves could be darker and all the myriad (there must be 30) little pitchers wither and dont grow. It has several large pitchers but they too are looking poorly. If the plant doesn't require fertiliser, should it be hand fed insects. I have many anoles which seem to eat all the insects in the greenhouse.
    I will amend my care for this poor plant immediately............
    Many thanks

• hunterkiller03
    15 years ago

Some neps can tolerate abuse and mishandling, especially the hybrids. Just make sure the ingredients to make the growing media contain no additives like fertilizer or wetting agents. To many products have these chemicals added to the ingredients.

• myorganics
    15 years ago

How are the neps propogated, can they be divided? I need to repot mine so now would be a good time.

• petiolaris
    15 years ago

Here's a pictoral answer:

{{gwi:547542}}

{{gwi:547543}}

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    15 years ago

Misting is USELESS unless you are prepared to do it every 5-10 minutes 24/7. A Humidifier is your best bet.

Sponsored