Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beginner tarrium plants/and info

Posted by runsnwalken (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 3, 09 at 21:25

In my bedroom I have a 20 gallon Aquarium , I've never kept carnivorous plants before -aside from venius flytraps brought at a store-died soon after.

What Matereals/substrate do I need to get started. What lighting would be best, What temp do I keep plants at. How do I care for plants throughout the year.

Right now Its cold out and I live in MN should I wait tell spring/should plants be outdoors?

Are there good websites to order exotic/fancy carnivorous plants from.

I'm into pitchers/traps/sundews- which ones are best for beginners?.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beginner tarrium plants/and info

You can read the previous string "have always wanted cp's, now i have them! advice please". It already has some good advice how to grow them and a title of a very useful book to read.

It is winter in MN so you cannot grow them outdoors until spring.

There are good website that sell CP like californiacarnivores.com, flytraps.com, and cobraplant.com; but I advice not to buy exotic or fancy CP for now. You lack experience to grow them, wait until you acquire enough experience growing the easy ones first. If not, your going to end up wasting $25, $50, or $100.

So the best plants to purchase is in Sarracenias are hybrids like S. x 'Scarlet Belle', S. x 'Judith Hindle', and S. x Danas Delight. Sundews are the cape sundew, the australina lance sundew, the staghorn sundews, and D. tokaiensis sold as D. spathulata hybrid. These can be found in stores like Home Depo or Lowes, or any other garden nursery in your area.

But you can purchase them at the website I listed above.

And one more thing, you dont need a terrarium to grow CPs in your room. I grow mine in my room in less then 15% humidity on a bookshelf.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

o

Terrariums are not needed for CPs. I don't recommend them at all. A 50/50 mix of peat moss and perlite is all you need.

Distilled or rain water only. VFTs and Sarrs need FULL sun and dormancy in winter. My Sundews get bright, indirect light in a west window.

o

And there are a lot that grow nicely at window sills:

D. adelae, paradoxa, spatulata, capensis, aliciae, dielsiana

A window sill

o

The fact is I dont have alot of light in my room, my mom keeps the house rather cool, 68 to 70 and I have two cats that like to eat plants, The spider plant by my window had to be covered in plastic wrap to keep the cats away.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here