Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anthony_m

sarracenia, d. capensis, and VFT in one pot?

Anthony.M
13 years ago

i live in berkeley ca which is zone three and im new to CPs and gardening in general, can i put a pitcher a sundew and a VFT in one pot so i could have a garden of death. :) any help will be appreciated.

Comments (9)

• taz6122
    13 years ago

I thought Berkeley was zone 9??

• Anthony.M
    Original Author
    13 years ago

well im a n00b :) i guess its hardiness zone 9 but climate zone 3 and in my web searching i didnt know the difference, anyway i live in apt on the 4th floor so i have an east facing window and i sunlight desk lamp that i blast them with all day. i just got the VFT but my sundews have been thriving. i dont have the pitchers yet but my friend does and i gave him a sundew to trade. can i put them in one pot? im worried about the dormancy of the VFT messing with the other plants...

• Anthony.M
    Original Author
    13 years ago

also, i cant find any bugs right now because of the rain and its been a week or so since they ate so i got some small earthworms and cut them up and put them onthe leaves of the sundew and triggered the vfts, are earthworms good food? the sundews wont curl up and live worms are to strong and wriggle up. should i take them off? any help with both questions would be greatly appreciated... thank you.

• taz6122
    13 years ago

I wouldn't worry too much about feeding them. I personally wouldn't put them in the same pot but you can if you keep them far enough away from each other so that you can bare root the VFT for dormancy without disturbing the roots of the Drosera. What kind of pitcher plant are you getting? Some of them also require dormancy.

I used to be a chimney sweep in the Berkeley hills. What fun that was when the chimney was on the back side which was sometimes 3 stories high (only one story in front) and the roofs were covered in moss.

• taz6122
    13 years ago

OOPS! Duh! Yes your sarracenia will need dormancy as well. What you might do is put the drosera in a smaller pot and bury it in a lager pot with the others. Then you could just take the smaller pot out and take it inside while the others rest.

• nepthes
    13 years ago

i dont think its a good idea unless the sundew is a species requireing dormancy.

• Anthony.M
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hmm so dont do it then? i have a cape sundew and i dont think it needs dormancy since its been kicking ass all winter, the thing is the temp in here will almost never drop below 50 and probably stays between 55 70 all winter long so idk how i would even gove them dormancy if i needed to. anyway thats a question for next year.

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Tone the language down Tony.

It's not so much temps as it is less light. They will start the dormancy process as light levels drop.
    50 is too low for capensis. I recommend keeping it above 60. It doesn't need a large pot so you can do what I suggested above to have a comm pot until temps drop.

• Anthony.M
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ok that might be pretty cool, (sry about the language, my internet habits can be immature). thanks for all the help.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!