Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mattmega4

and now the mold happens

mattmega4
14 years ago

SO all winter i had no problems with mold on my CPS...On one of my CPs i noticed grey mold starting so i put on the sulfur based fungicide..in a water solution and sprayed it on..nothing happened..so i put the powder on directly (no water) and the mold is just growing right on top of that..like 80% of my CPs have woken up from their dormancy..this one has not..(but there are others that do not have mold that havent woken up yet so im not too worried yet..i think) what can i do to stop this mold problem..they are getting all day sun..barely an inch of water in the tray..and none of the other plants have mold..thanks

ive heard cinnamon works..is that true? how do i apply it?

will this mold stop the plant from waking up/making new leaves?

Comments (5)

• taz6122
    14 years ago

Get rid of the moldy parts. Cut them off and scoop out some of the soil around it or just spray it off. You gota get all the brown spots. Then dust it with sulfur or spray with fugicide. They don't need much water till they actively start growing. You didn't say what kind of plant. You'll be lucky if you only have one plant that doesn't make it through winter. My nepenthes have made it but only the one in a terrarium has pitchers. I lost several pygmy drosera, don't have a clue >B/ I'm about to start planting VFTs and then Sarracenia. Tubers look good.

• petiolaris
    14 years ago

As said above, remove what you can, manually. You can sprinkle cinnamon on top of what you can't remove. More light, higher temps, and more air exposure helps mitigate mold.

• mattmega4
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok i will go up and try and pick off all the mold! its been raining a lot..so i just keep scooping water out to keep the water level low till it REALLY warms up
    the plant is either the flava or the minor..i cant remember off the top of my head..they arent in terrariums..they are outside in full sun and air exposure..but i will try the removal..and cinnamon..thanks..ill take a photo or two and post it thanks taz and petiolaris

• mattmega4
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I was using this product..now ive scraped all the mold off and put on the cinnamon..it just started raining tho..will that wash off the cinnamon and make my efforts useless
    {{gwi:547919}}
    outside full sun barely any water
    {{gwi:547920}}
    with mold
    {{gwi:547921}}
    {{gwi:547922}}
    the roots are good..i got as much mold off as i could
    {{gwi:547923}}
    {{gwi:547924}}
    is this too much cinnamon?

• taz6122
    14 years ago

Use a pump or hand sprayer and spray it with hydrogen peroxide until you can't see any mold. Sorry I forgot about the peroxide treatment. Don't worry it turns into water. Then use the fungicide of your choice. You then need to cover it with clear plastic or glass to keep the water off the plant until it starts growing again. Elevate the cover to allow air flow. Treat it as though it is dormant. Take it out of the litter box or put it in another tray inside the litter box so it doesn't get as much water as the plants that are actively growing. Too much water!

Sponsored