Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Adding charcoal to the growing media of a Nepenthes

Posted by hunterkiller03 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 28, 07 at 2:34

Here a question for those that grow Nepenthes. I have grown N. alata ssp. elongata, a typical N. rafflesiana variety and a giant variety (still a small plant) and N. ampullaria spotted. Normally the media mix I use for my neps consisted one part LFS, one part perlite, part vermiculite and it is a mix that has worked fine. I even considered myself a decent nep grower.

But recently I repotted my N. alata and to the normal mix I added charcoal because Ive heard that it's good for absorbing impurities. Later I bought Barrys new book "Growing Carnivorous Plants". In his book he wrote that he added charcoal to his mix and his neps didnt do so well. I hate to realize that I may have made a big mistake by adding charcoal in my mix.

Just hoping Barrys experience isnt widespread among neps growers, how many of you have added charcoal to your media and how well your plants grew in the mix?

Otherwise, I may have just to re-repot my plant and I hate doing that to a recently repotted plant, especially to a nep.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Adding charcoal to the growing media of a Nepenthes

I would go back to what you had before, which is a very common Nep mix. I'm not doing anything fancy (peat, sand, LFS) and my plants are growing, with my ventrata having sent a flower. They're not that picky, but don't like too much change.

o

This is just great, I killed my alata. It wasn't doing that great after I potted it earlier but when I was re-repotting it to a new pot in a new media minus charcoal. I Dropped the pot and it landed upside down. Broke the stem into several pieces and the growing tip was crushed.

Well... repotted these and hopefully I and up with more then one plant.

But if it dies, well... another plant I killed with my stupidity.

o

No, not stupidity, just humanity. We all make mistakes. I dropped a 20 ounce bottle of ice on my dormant VFT and crushed some of it's leaves. It made it through without pause and is doing great now. Basically, I think you just made a few new Nepenthes.

Trying the charcoal was just par for the course as there are so many different techniques for growing carnivorous plants that we hobbyists can never be sure of what to do when. Trial and error gets us through, along with the rare straight answers from tried and true growers that made the mistakes first and tell about it.

Maybe a little rooting hormone on the Nep tips that broke will urge it to take?

o

I use charcoal and orchid bark (actually fir bark, but it's for orchids) along with perlite, lfs, and peat. I'm not sure charcoal makes that much of a difference, but I am a big believer orchid bark. Both orchid bark and charcoal are very slow to break down. This leaves large open air spaces in the mix and allows me to keep neps on the tray method reducing frequency of watering and care.

However, the most important advantage of this mix doesn't become apparent until it's time to replant. The charcoal and orchid bark basically fall apart when you take them out of the pot. This means it's much much easier to remove those delicate roots from the potting soil when it's time to replant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here