Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Heliamphora minor outside in full sun in

Posted by terrestrial_man 9 (eyuracleo@hotmail.com) on
Thu, Mar 10, 11 at 2:46

Growing Helis is supposed to be really hard to do. Perhaps if you are trying to do so indoors? As much as I would like to try other species I consider myself lucky enough to be able to afford a couple of colonies of H. minor several years ago. My intent then was to grow them outside as I really had no room in my greenhouse for them. And besides from what I could tell from what LITTLE I could find then on their natural habitats I believed that they should be able to make it. So here are links to three different sections of webjournals on my experiences.

Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
Page 5
Page 6
Page 7

Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
Page 5
Page 6

Page 2
Page 3
Page 4

The only real precaution I take with them is to move them onto my kitchen window ledge, outside, when the air temps drop down into the 30sF (around 4C) though I think they can handle occasional freezing temps.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Heliamphora minor outside in full sun in

I tried to grow one outside, but the adaptation to a drier environment outside the terrarium made it grow smaller, and weaker pitchers. The plant later stopped growing and I had to place it back in a humid environment so that it could start growing again. It has been one month and the plant is still stunt in all crowns except one.

o

very excellent information...
um...is there a reason why can't this plant grow under some T5 light?

shouldn't the T5 light okie with this plant and make them grow inside a aquarium?

o

Dryness is a definite problem the plants I grow face daily.
My offset is to spray and to flood the pots daily at least once. I do not want it to be too easy for them. My interest is in seeing what they can do with the conditions that are outside here in coastal California.
While I did not do so, one way of offsetting the impact of dryness is to plant the plants down inside the pots in order to provide some microclimate in which humidity may be somewhat protected. The image in the second series is of such plants grown inside of their pots.
Also automatic misting systems can be installed to help them grow outside if you want to expend the cash. Which is one reason why my plants are outside. I grow no plants under lights any more due to budgetary constraints. The Helis can make it outside here. All I have to do is come up with the right combo of cultural practices to achieve the success I am after: mature growth with flowering.
Currently the nights are warming up and new growth appear to be beginning. I am looking forward to see their progress over the rest of 2011.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here