Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
byron_1

Heliamphora Neblinae Parva

byron_1
13 years ago

Does any one knows how tall do H Neblinae Parvas get? I can not find any information on the net about this.

Hope someone can help.

Comments (16)

• banjoman
    13 years ago

Hi Byron,

Are you happy with the plants you received from Wistuba. After a few months of acclimation, my Heliamphora (several interesting species) are all thriving.

I don't know the answer to your Neblinae Parva question, but my Neblinae red is one of my favorites.

• byron_1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My Heliamphoras all grew well from the start. Since it is so difficult to get in contact with him, I wish he would have sent them with details and growing instructions.

Right now, I am growing all of them just like I grow my H Heterodoxa x Minor. But I know some do not require as much humidity or cool weather. However, I am not quite clear how much difference in temperature and humidity would a H Ciliata be able to handle.

Yes I am very happy with the plants.

• banjoman
    13 years ago

When I first contacted Andreas Wistuba, I asked if conditions for any should differ from my Heterodoxa x minor, and he said the growing conditions should be no different.

Many of mine are starting to put up more mature traps. It is great how you can see an extremely small red tip forming, and you know right away that it will become a mature trap rather than an adolescent pre-trap.

If you have a chance to share any pictures of your Heliamphoras and your growing set up, I'd be very interested.

• byron_1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I know, but it would be nice to find out which ones I could actually grow outside instead of being inside a terrarium in a cool room.

I would think that Google would know, since I can find everything there. But not even Google.

I might place some pics later.

• buckcity
    13 years ago

Here is the link to Dr.Wistuba's PDF from the ICPS site on how to cultivate Heliamphora:

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/articles/CPNv19n1_2p44_45.pdf

Stewart McPherson's book Pitcher Plants of the America's says that H.nevlinae, "are typically 20-35 cm in height but can reach up to 40 cm in height in shaded conditions " (page 152.) No mention of your Parva cultivar.

• byron_1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh boy, I am going to have to build my own glass terrarium for this one! That is as big as Sarracenias get.

Actually, I do not think that the Parva is a cultivar. It grows in the wild, and it is referred to as the real Neblinae.

Thanks for the article.

• buckcity
    13 years ago

Here's a link to some pictures of a nice example. The grower states his plants are 30-40cm.

Link:
    http://floridacpsociety.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=sunpitcher&action=display&thread=687&page=1

You know Brian Barnes, President of Florida CP Society(FCPS) is a Big fan of Heliamphora. He shares his pictures on the FCPS site and the International Carnivorous Plant Society.

• byron_1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Great pictures, but that is not the Parva.

Here are links of Parva images:

http://www.wistuba.com/shop/images/11-06---1---summit-of-neblina---11-medium_579.jpg

http://carnivorousockhom.blogspot.com/2010/10/heliamphora-neblinae-var-parva.html

The honey spoons turn into a type of redpurple lid.

• byron_1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I love the fact that they are very fuzzy on the outside of the pitchers as well.

Thanks for the advice.

• banjoman
    13 years ago

Interesting pointed nectar spoons on the Parva pictures.

• banjoman
    13 years ago

Byron,
    Here are pictures I took today of the 5 heliamphora I got from Wistuba at the end of last year. I'd be curious to see yours as well.

Heliamphora neblinae Red
    {{gwi:548002}}

Heliamphora chimantensis (Chimanta)
    {{gwi:548004}}

Heliamphora hispida
    {{gwi:548006}}

Heliamphora heterodoxa x nutans
    {{gwi:548007}}

Heliamphora nutans (Yuruani Tepui)
    {{gwi:548008}}

Jon

• byron_1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is my Neblinae Parva
    {{gwi:548009}} >
    and this is my Chimantensis:
    {{gwi:548010}}

I ordered them with adult pitchers. When they arrive the adult pitchers were still growing inside the juvenile ones, but they grew pretty fast.

• byron_1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am super happy with the quality of the plants and the health that they arrive with.

I am saving my money to still order other types.

• byron_1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have a Grand Sabana I ordered too, but I did not have time to place it. Might place it later.

Cheers,

• banjoman
    13 years ago

It looks like you're using live sphagnum moss. Where did you get it? Is that just top dressing, or is it all the way through?

Your Chimantensis looks very full and healthy. Mine was ordered as a "stage 3" which is probably of similar maturity. Looks like yours has been pretty prolific making new adult traps.

My neblinae is one of my favorites, although it is still juvenile. It is nice to see yours to get an idea of what the adult pitchers will look like.

I really wanted a Puchella for their cool hairy pitchers, but he didn't have them at the time. I see they are available now.

Do you grow them in a terrarium, and how do you maintain the humidity? Mine are in a terrarium under fluorescent lights, I have a big bowl of water in there which may help to maintain humidity, and I mist once a day. Once a week, I take each plant out, cut off dead pitchers and flush liberally from the top with distilled water.

I agree that the quality of the plants from Wistuba was excellent.

• byron_1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The adult pitchers mine have are adult but juvenile. Do not know what stage you may call that. Every pitcher coming is a little taller than the other. So I will have to get a new terrarium soon.

The Neblinae Parva becomes very hairy when adult. So the red purple colour that it gets is filtered through the white hairs giving the plant a pastel colour look.

Well, I place mine in terrariums I made from plastic candy boxes. I have them under two fluorescent light tubes about 3 inches away from the light. But the terrarium top is very close to the lights, almost touching them. The moss is live only at the top.

The good thing about live moss is that if live moss is growing well, that is a measure sign that the humidity is at an excellent level.

I only spray them about once a week to get rid of any fungi that might be growing on the pitchers. If the fungi takes a hold, it starts turning the pitchers black. So I take a small painting brush, and brush the fungi out of the pitchers then I spray the pitchers down to finish the cleaning. The black they get is only at the surface caused by the fungi itself.

Sponsored
Art Masonry Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Loudon County's Hardscape and Landscape Expert in Outdoor Living