Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardeninggrandmo1

care of nepenthes alata

gardeninggrandmo1
17 years ago

fell in love with this plant and bought it. but the care info was very limted that came with it. please all help and info is greatly neede and appreaced. also about how to start new one later from this one. thanks vickie

Comments (16)

• petiolaris
    17 years ago

What is it in right now? Where did you get it? They like room temp to 80 degree temps, roughly 12 hour daylight, and slightly moist soil. They are really almost maintenance free plants. I just simply keep my Asian pitcher plants in a planter, at the bathroom window and water once or twice a week. I trim yellow or brown foliage when necessary. Not much more than that required!

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    17 years ago

Water with rainwater or distilled water ONLY, NO TAP or bottled waters. Bright defused light. Spray the leaves LIGHTLY every 2-3 weeks with 1/4 strength orchid fertilzer.

Tom

• jonocross
    17 years ago

I strongly agree with the water suggestion from Tom. If you don't fertilize the plant with the orchid fertilizer it won't die on you or anything, they just seem to appriciate a tiny bit of fertilizer every few weeks.

I'm "guessing" the alata is a ventrata but that doesn't matter to much really, they're both pretty easy neps. I read somewhere that neps are one of those plants that like a little less attention. From what I've seen with what I'm growing, that seems true. They're fairly easy if you make sure you use the right water (non tap as previously mentioned... distilled or RO water work well. Avoid the bottled spring water just because they often add salts for flavor... you can get a gallon of distilled water for under a buck), don't leave them sitting in water, and give them the right light.

I water mine every 3 days or so and I could water them a little less if I needed to.

The thing I noticed most about nepenthes is their ability to worm their way into your heart. I've got all kinds of cps but what I have the most of is nepenthes. I just can't get enough of them. So, have fun.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aracknight's Deadly Delights

• nepenthesfreak_2007
    17 years ago

NepenthesNepenthesNepenthes.

Check out Nepenthes jamban online: Its AWESOME!!!!!!!!
    Newly discovered species from sumatra (I think)

• jonocross
    17 years ago

Oh that is awesome.

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Nepenthes don't like wet feet. The roots probably rotted.

• barbieg72_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

thanks for all the growing tips look mt plant.

• banjoman
    13 years ago

Jack77,

Don't worry. Your Nepenthes (I assume you have a Nepenthes) is probably OK. Don't let it sit in water, but instead, water the top of the soil with distilled or rain water every 2-3 days.

Regarding loss of pitchers, this is fine if the leaves still look healthy and green. Nepenthes can sometimes stop producing pitchers for as much as a few months. Keep the plant in a well-lit window and continue watering it as described above. Be patient, and it will start making pitchers again. Having the older pitchers turn brown is a normal part of the life cycle of your plant.

• kkaren_marie
    13 years ago

I water and mist my plants with water from my koi pond and they have gotten huge. Must love the extra nutrition.

• jamie3643_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I have found nepenthes don't produce pitchers if the humidity is too low. Also tap water seems to work fine

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

Nepenthes loves fertilizers. And while they don't get fertilizers in the wild, I am not sure what plants in the wild does??? But this doesn't mean that they won't like it.
    I have fertilized my nepenthes for over ten years and they have grown wonders. I do admit that once your nepenthes becomes a giant, stop fertilizing altogether won't slow their growth.
    Orchids don't get fertilizers in the wild, yet does much better when fertilized in captivity. The same holds true with nepenthes. BTW nepenthes do get a form of liquid fertilizing every time a heavy rain storm dissolved minerals and the rain water itself through lightning releases and bonds nitrogen with rainwater truly fertilizing everything.
    {{gwi:548222}}
    Fertilizng encourages growth on every aspect of the nepenthes plant parts.
    N. alata grows much better with some fertilizers added as a liquid feed to the soil/roots.
    {{gwi:548223}}
    They tend to grow better when given regularly with plants copying their natural counterparts with lots of growth and pitchers
    {{gwi:548224}}

{{gwi:548225}}

• Hegory
    12 years ago

You should post a whole bunch of pictures of your neps, RainforestGuy. I would like to see your whole collection! (if you do though try to on a new post!:)

• adrnnszf
    11 years ago

I just received one of these as a gift. It is in the green plastic nursery pot: do I keep it in this? And what kind of growing medium does it prefer?

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    11 years ago

You can keep it in the green pot. I grow my Neps in 50/50 mix of Perlite and peat moss.

• worldkiss
    11 years ago

A couple of pitcher stems were broken in transport, should just the pitcher be removed or the entire leaf?