Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris33_gw

PIcked these up yesterday

chris33
17 years ago

And other then a little fly trap I have no clue what the others are. I know these need to be re-potted but since they are so small should I pot them together or do they need to be potted separate? When it comes to re-potting I'm kinda clueless. Any idea what I have here? Any suggestion you willing to share would be much appreciated.

{{gwi:548296}}

{{gwi:548297}}

Comments (8)

• jonocross
    17 years ago

Well, you have a Darlingtonia californica (cobra plant) and a Drosera adelae (it's a sundew from queensland austraillia)

Ok, the adelae is the leafy thing with the dew drops on it. They're pretty easy to grow. I've had luck with long fibered sphagnum/ peat/ and sand. There are several different formulas for soil for those. They're not too picky.

The cobra... well, they're harder. Cobras shouldn't get over 70 degrees F in their roots or they can die. They need a soil mix like... peat/ perlite/ sand... go a little heavy on the perlite near the top of the pot. Being white, it helps keep the soil from getting hot when exposed to light. Water it on top and keep it in a nice water tray.

Ok, this is for anyone who wanders in here and reads this who is new. Use distilled water or reverse osmosis water for both of these. Water tray method is good.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aracknight's Deadly Delights

• chris33
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for you answers and the link has been very helpful. Since it will be the weekend before I can make it to the store to get some pots, I decided to get ride of the plastic covering over the roots, I also drilled a few holes in the bottom of the clear plastic pot and placed it in another container filled with some distilled water. So hopefully that will help.

Chris

• chris33
    Original Author
    17 years ago

And did some potting today..

{{gwi:548298}}

{{gwi:548300}}

Now they are getting a little direct sunlight in the morning and when the transplant shock settles I'll move them into direct sun all day

• nepenthesfreak_2007
    17 years ago

Pour cool water on the darlingtonia roots a few times a day.

• petiolaris
    17 years ago

They also do well at window sills, in a glorified hanging basket setup. No need to put ice or cold water in them. Here's a Lowee's purchase:

{{gwi:430450}}

• jonocross
    17 years ago

There is one thing I do question with your set up Chris. You're using an aluminum turkey pan as your water tray. I could be wrong... I've been wrong before... but using a metal tray could lead to eventual break down of the materaial and could put unwanted metal in your water. (I tried turky pans too but I ended up trying a garbage bag in them then finally gave up on them)

I have gone through several water tray options and here are the ones "I like best" so far... At Walmart I got small cat boxes, you know, the open plastic trays... for about 2 bucks each. I tried the medium but found they didn't fit in my aquariums. Since then I found some of those plastic seed propagation tray things at Lowes (they're everywhere this time of year) and found that they sold the bottoms of those (11x22 water trays basically) for a buck. They don't fit in my aquaiums but only about a thrid of my plants are in aquariums so it works for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aracknight's Deadly Delights

• boris26
    17 years ago

Lowes sell cobra plants!?.

• petiolaris
    17 years ago

They sure do! You can get cube with 3 plants in it, usually a combination of VFT, D. adelae, and either D. californica or P. primuliflora. I have also seen them sold in smaller, individual cubes, as well as S. purpurea, S. Dixie Lace, S. Judith Hindle, S. Dana's Delight, N. sanguniea, N. ventrata, and D. spatulata. But it's all hit or miss!

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor