Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mistwolf111

Repotted Venus Flytrap- Concerned!

mistwolf111
10 years ago

About a week ago I got a venus flytrap... It came in a little plastic pot, that was full of Sphagnum moss. It took me the full week to find soil I thought might work. (I went by information I looked up on the internet. It had peat moss and perlite and claimed good drainage- seemed to fit what I read.. and it didn't say anything about added nutrients/fertilizers.) So last night I repotted it, and then watered it. This morning, when I went to check on it, I was surprised to find the outside of the clay pot I'd put it in completely covered with white powdery stuff. I tasted it (because I read it was probably salt) and it.. tasted... like salt.

The plant itself started drooping quite a bit, and most of the traps closed, and I'm pretty sure that they didn't just happen to catch a lot of insects.

The water I used was melted snow (and I let it warm up too so it wasn't cold!)... not tap water.

I'm scared it's going to die...

Does it sound like it'll recover? What can I do to help? Is the salt from the pot itself somehow, or is it probably in the soil I used? Any information would help...

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living