Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Repotted Venus Flytrap- Concerned!

Posted by mistwolf111 none (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 12:38

About a week ago I got a venus flytrap... It came in a little plastic pot, that was full of Sphagnum moss. It took me the full week to find soil I thought might work. (I went by information I looked up on the internet. It had peat moss and perlite and claimed good drainage- seemed to fit what I read.. and it didn't say anything about added nutrients/fertilizers.) So last night I repotted it, and then watered it. This morning, when I went to check on it, I was surprised to find the outside of the clay pot I'd put it in completely covered with white powdery stuff. I tasted it (because I read it was probably salt) and it.. tasted... like salt.

The plant itself started drooping quite a bit, and most of the traps closed, and I'm pretty sure that they didn't just happen to catch a lot of insects.

The water I used was melted snow (and I let it warm up too so it wasn't cold!)... not tap water.

I'm scared it's going to die...

Does it sound like it'll recover? What can I do to help? Is the salt from the pot itself somehow, or is it probably in the soil I used? Any information would help...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Repotted Venus Flytrap- Concerned!

It is best to buy peat moss and perlite separately because most of soil mix do have fertilizer in them.
Sail + VF= death plant
I am assume you get your snow from the street where they spray down with salt to melt the snow?
What you can do is wash the root with distilled water, get new media, keep it in low light and wait

o
RE: Repotted Venus Flytrap- Concerned!

It might be mold or fungus. Use a SULPHUR based fungicide if it is. It'll take a while for the plant to recover from repotting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here