Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stevexyz

Why is my nepenthes atala not pitchering?

stevexyz
15 years ago

Why is my nepenthes atala not pitchering?

Thanks,

Steve

Comments (9)

• petiolaris
    15 years ago

Aside from general health, pitchering a direct funtion of daylength. Being equatorial plants they really need 12 hours of light per day.

• evil_garden_gnome
    15 years ago

Could also be to cold

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    15 years ago

Light could be an issue, BRIGHT indirect Sun. In the spring (soon!) spray the foliage every 2 weeks with a 1/4 strength mix of orchid food. That tends to help induce pitchering.

• hunterkiller03
    15 years ago

I have suggested many times that if you have a question why someoneÂs plant isnÂt doing well. DonÂt limit by asking why the plant isnÂt growing or sprouting new leaves.

Also include what kind of soil you have it growing, have you repotted and if so what type of soil you are using, how much and where itÂs receiving its light, whatÂs the temperature, and how much are you watering.

People can help you better if they know whatÂs your growing condition for your plant.

• taz6122
    15 years ago

Humidity is normally why a Nep. doesn't pitcher. They need at least 70%.Funny how everything else was mentioned.

• hunterkiller03
    15 years ago

It usually helps if someone having trouble with their plants included in what condition they are growing it. I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but it's easier to zero in on the problem.

I grow my alata in a less then 15% humidity in my room. Just provide a more humid soil and lots of light.

• taz6122
    15 years ago

hunterkiller03 could you post some pictures of this alata that you are growing in less than 15% humidity? I would love to see this miracle plant!

• hunterkiller03
    15 years ago

Here there are:

{{gwi:548381}}

With companion plants a few months later:
    {{gwi:548382}}

The terrarium is where I keep my lowland inside, a N raffflesiana, ampullaria, & a N. Viking (last one doesnÂt have an official name yet). The lowlands canÂt deal with low humidity but some highlands can. But my alata isnÂt a miracle plant, I grow also outside of a terrarium N. alata, ventrata, sanguinea, and truncata. Basically I hardened them

IÂm testing a N. rafflesiana giant form if it can grow in low humidity, so after going through a slight shock. ItÂs starting to develop itÂs 1st healthy looking urn.

One thing, I grow them on a tray with 1/2 inch of water, that contradicts having them standing in water but I feel the bottom of the pot with perlite. That may provide some humidity on that corner of the room. At most it has between 4 to 7 urns, not 10 to 15 you may see in a greenhouse. It obviously has to do with the low humidity that they donÂt last long.

I was inspired to grow them without a terrarium from a grower in SW California who was growing his neps in his backyard.

• taz6122
    15 years ago

So hunterkiller03, what you are saying is that a plant grown in higher humidity will have more pitchers which is exactly my point. I am interested in the steps you took to harden your Nep. I have a raff. that is getting too big for the terrarium it is in so I would like to acclimate it to 50% from 90% without killing it. The humidity here in AR is 50% avg.

Sponsored