Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Container for sarracenia?

Posted by shmooey 5b Chicago (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 22, 10 at 14:02

I just brought my sarracenia inside from their overwintering spot, to plant into a real container for the coming season. I needed something lightweight, and something that would be insulating for overwintering them. I used a Styrofoam cooler filled with Sand, Peat, Long fiber sphagnum peat moss, Pearlite, some charcoal, and some crushed lava rock (i was at the end of all my bags, so i had to mix what i had).

I put a few drainage holes on the side of the cooler, a few inches from the bottom, so it wouldn't get too waterlogged.

Does anyone see a reason why this wouldn't work? I don't even know if my plants lived through the winter, so I'm taking a chance on this whole thing. I thought the roots looked alive, but who knows. I really want to keep them happy!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Container for sarracenia?

I don't know about the soil mixture but the only thing i'd do is trim a bit off of the pot..looks like you have an inch and a half from the soil to the top of the planter..and it creates a shadow..if your at the end of your soil bags then id do taht..to allow more sunlight to the plants

(keep in mind this is my 2nd year growing CPs so i could be wrong..but worth a shot)

o

In the bottom of my deeper pots I put styrofoam peanuts as a filler.The Sarracenia roots won't go that deep.If you want to -put the styrofoam in a plastic bag and lay them in the pot,that way the peanuts won't get mixed in with the potting mixture.

o

Hi mike!how deep are your deeper pots?im asking coz i have a sarracenia in a gallon pot i repotted last August (i had to,the plant was really rootbound)and i already see roots coming out of the bottom holes which means ill have to repot it again in the future.Can i do that?

o

Hi angellilly, the pots I have vary in depth. Some are 18 inches, some 14 inches.At the bottom I put the "peanuts" in sandwich bags as a filler. My pots are also very wide - 16 to 18 inches across.I put a couple of Sarracenia in with live Sphagnum moss and put sundews in to fill in the spaces. If you give the roots room to grow horizontally,they won't go deep on you too quickly.Hope this helps,good luck.
Mike

o

Hi Mike!They reason i put them in deep pots is that during summer they go long periods of time unattended and they dry out slower.I dont need to check them every day for the water level.Ill see what i can do,thanx for the tip! :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here