Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recently purchased Nepenthes Miranda. Need advice.

Posted by Dragonflyguy North Texas (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 11, 12 at 14:18

I'm new to Nepenthes but not to cultivating carnivorous plants and so this is my first purchase. Unfortunately, the care card that came with it is useless and "The Savage Garden" has little insight on this plant.

I want to keep it outdoors, preferably in a location that only gets morning sun.
Would this plant do well outdoors in North Texas? As a comparison, I am able to grow venus flytraps and cape sundews outdoors without any problem. Or should I keep it indoors? I do have a sunny windowsill where a Cephalotus has been thriving.

What is the temperature range of tolerance for this plant and does it need a lot of humidity? Is it a lowland or highland variety?

Several pitchers are shriveled up a brown, should I remove them? And should I be worried that so many

When should the plant be repotted and what soil mix is preferred? Is foliar fertilization necessary?

Sorry if that's so many questions but I always want to be sure about raising a new plant.

I've included a few pics for reference.

[IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/s4t9bo.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/ea16dy.jpg[/IMG]

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recently purchased Nepenthes Miranda. Need advice.

Sorry, here are the imagesL

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

Bright, filtered Sun. Keep moist at all times (Not in a water tray!) and clip off any pitchers that are dieing or you can't stand. They can not tolerate frost.

o

Nepenthes for the most part are easy to grow BUT in order for them to produce pitchers require humidity levels of at least 50% preferably 60%. Bright light and morning sun also needed. Here in the NE I give mine direct sun most of the day except high summer along with high humidity and lack of humidity will cause pitcher loss.

Scott

o

Nepenthes for the most part are easy to grow BUT in order for them to produce pitchers require humidity levels of at least 50% preferably 60%. Bright light and morning sun also needed. Here in the NE I give mine direct sun most of the day except high summer along with high humidity and lack of humidity will cause pitcher loss.

Scott

o

Well, it's been a little over a month and I've gotten one new pitcher so far. New leaves are unfurling from the top. I have a quick follow up question about watering.

How tolerant are Nepenthes of tap water compared to other CPs? My local water is 200ppm.

o

It is said they can tolerate tap water but I would say it depends on the TDSs. I don't know if 200 is too high. I'd use rainwater or distilled personally.

o

Don't pamper your nepenthes, they can take a lot of hell with ease.
Do get them accustomed to growing ina particular area and do not move it around. N. Miranda has N. northiana in it as a parent and this species does not like to be moved around too much. But because this is a hybrid, they will adapt much better to their new surroundings much quicker and show positive growth signs.
The reason why your plant isn't making much pitchers is because it needs nitrogen and it isn't receiving any with pitcher-less plant parts. Feed your plants with a dilute GrowMore Liquid Seaweed Extract and or Peter's Soluble fertilizer. Just a few watering applications will lead your plant in the right direction for growth and development of attractive big pitchers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here