Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Never go dormant Fly traps

Posted by CJ-Speciosa none (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 29, 13 at 14:59

Hello,

I've been reading a ton since finding this forum a few days ago...My girlfriend would say I'm "obsessed" with it. I'm an avid plant collector and have recently decided to start increasing my collection of carnivores.......

Anyway, I had this VFT for a little over two years now and I've never heard of letting it go dormant until a few days ago. Consensus seems to be if you don't hibernate it, it will wither away and die within a year. From personal experience, I find this not to be true.

I've moved it to a new location which gets much more sun a few months ago and as you can see, the new traps although shorter stemmed, are larger and have now added red to their color. It's actually getting healthier.

It's also flowered a few times during the time I've had it but I've always cut the stalk before I let it bloom. I thought for some reason if it bloomed and flowered, I would lose it.

Seeing as I'm now sentimentally attached to this plant, I certainly wouldn't want to lose it because of something I did wrong. Can anyone chime in here and give me your opinions as to why this thing just keeps going and going despite never "resting"

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Never go dormant Fly traps

My guess is it is near a cool window during winter and gets cold enough for light dormancy. Where are you located? Longer darkness in fall/winter may also be enough for it as well.

o

Thanks for the response.

I was thinking that as well concerning the cool draft from the window.....but it actually grew all winter long. All of those longer stemmed heads grew during the cooler, dimmer months. I live in NJ. The newer heads are the shorter healthier ones that have just popped up over the last two months and counting.

o

Eh, these are stronger than people give them credit for. If all your care was appropriate except giving it a dormancy, it may very well live for years without one.

Then, eventually it will decline, maybe not this year, but eventually. It will need a dormancy to survive long term, but who knows how long it'll do fine without one? Unfortunately, I highly doubt this is the one miracle plant that will revolutionize growing VFTs without that pesky dormancy requirement ever being an issue.

o

Lol.....point taken. I'll give it a rest after this season. Hopefully it pulls through.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here