Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Purple pitcher plant size

Posted by gardenper none (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 15:49

I've recently began to grow some of these CPs. I was trying to get a feel for how big a purple pitcher plant can get to know what size of pot to put it in for this first season of growing it, but it seems that it may be small for a few years.

On another note, I did see a large one at Lowes (it was about 6-7" tall). I am wondering if I should buy/help/rescue that plant as it might be uncommon to have one that size at these stores or if it they will commonly be that size in a short time.

(Being that size, the pitchers were well-formed and quite easy to see, which should add some excitement to when it grabs a some insects -- there about 3 of them plus other leaves).

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Purple pitcher plant size

All I know is that he shall be saved! I'm not sure about the growth rate of purpurea. I've had mine for 4 years in minnesota and it's doubled outside. I also bailed him out of lowes!

o

The Purps from Lowes are usually okay... I picked up 3 they had on sale earlier this year. All of them easily divided into two plants that are all now flourishing in bright shade. Purpleing up and everything. Can't comment much on growth rate yet but once you find conditions they like they pretty much take off. I do have several pots of young seedlings as well.

o

Well, like some purchases, I sat on the idea for a few days and I've decided I would still like it, so I'll go check today and see if it's still around. At least if it isn't, that means someone else picked it up and hopefully they will get some enjoyment from it.

Thanks for the info!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here