Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New here, and my new Nepenthes :-)

Posted by Corgikarma none (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 19, 13 at 15:50

Hello, I'm new to this forum and wanted to share my newest carnivorous plant. I was extremely excited to find it (or rather, my fiance found it) for $25 at a local Home Depot!

This post was edited by Corgikarma on Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 1:31

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New here, and my new Nepenthes :-)

Another

o

Any idea on an ID? I'm thinking N. miranda?

o

Nice find! Yes, it is a Nepenthes Miranda. A basically bulletproof hybrid and a great 1st Nepenthes. With good care it quickly becomes a monster of a plant.

o

Thanks for the ID! I have a young N. mikei in sphagnum and orchid bark, but I've been reading about other substrates. What would you recommend for this large miranda when I repot?

o

Depends on your conditions really. There is no best mix to repot them. As long as it drains freely and stays on the moist side anything is ok. I've grown Miranda in a variety of mixes over the years, it isn't particular. Most of my Nepenthes are in some combination of cocohusk chunks, orchid bark, charcoal, perlite, long fibered spaghnum moss. If you grow it inside you may need more sphagnum in your mix or need to water it more often if your mix is less moisture retaining. If you plan to grow it outside and it's humid where you are you can get away with less sphag to none.

Miranda is a good plant to experiment on and learn what mix is best for your particular conditions and growing style. Just know that it will probably sulk, stop pitchering and growing temporarily after a repot. That's normal, they don't like to be messed with, so don't assume it didn't like what you repotted it in right away. Give it a few months before you decide you've made a mistake and want to re-repot it if it still isn't happy.

o

Beutiful plant. I wish I could find a plant like that for such a good deal. I might just go check my Home Depot!!! How old do you guys guess that plant is?

o

Beutiful plant. I wish I could find a plant like that for such a good deal. I might just go check my Home Depot!!! How old do you guys guess that plant is?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here