Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nepenthes Ventrata Questions

Posted by kevin-m 6 (sunrisesaloon@aol.com) on
Sat, Mar 9, 13 at 16:02

Hello,

I purchased a Nepenthes Ventrata over the summer from a local garden center. I have a few questions.

Since the summer, my Nepenthes Ventrata produced two beautiful 20" shoots with nice leaves, however no pitchers at all. It is hanging in an east facing window over my kitchen sink. I live in zone 6 just outside Buffalo NY.

I called the garden center where it was purchased and asked them why it does not produce pitchers. I was told that it will not produce pitchers until it is placed outdoors for the summer. This contradicts other info I have read stating it should be placed in a bright window with no indirect sunlight.

Would it be safe to hang this outdoors on the east side of my house with only morning and early afternoon sunlight?

Also, I have read where some people feed these plants with goldfish pellets and bloodworms. is this recommended?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
Kevin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nepenthes Ventrata Questions

They for the most part stop making pitchers over the winter. Although you MAY get an occasional one. Starting in about April go get some Orchid fertilizer. Make a 1/4 strength solution of it (using rain or distilled water only) and put some in a spray bottle. Spray the plant well every 2 weeks. This initiates pitchering. Make sure it gets bright indirect Sun.

o

Thank You!

o

• Posted by gerris2 Zone 7a Delaware (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 12:42

Is N. ventrata a good nep to grow for a newbie to the genus? If not, which one has reasonable hardiness for our temperate climate in USA?

o

Yes, Ventrata or Ventricosa are 2 easy one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here