Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dewless ping

Posted by bradarmi IL 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 8, 09 at 17:22

I need CP experts:
I usually raise orchids and epiphytic cacti and broms. I have one ping (purchased to get rig of pesky fungus gnats). Problem, the ping doesn't seem to making any dew - as evident by several gnats swarming around the plant, landing on it and flying away.

Conditions: W/SW window no shading other than by larger orchids (dends and cattleyas, as well as adenium obessum - for comparrison). Humidity 45-70% and daytime temps 60-70F and night temps 50-60F, depending on outside conditions. I water with RO or rainwater and tap water (rotate) once or twice a week,no fertilizer. It flowered twice, and made another rosette of leaves, they don't seem sticky. Is the dew seasonal?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dewless ping

Well what kind of ping do you have? To me it sounds kinda like a Mexican butterwort. During the winter their rosettes clump into a small dewless succulent. They do this because in their native habitat the Mexican/tropical pings have a mildly cool and dry winter. It is in this time that the butterworts bloom with fantastic flowers. Once summer starts they should receive more water and they'll grow large carnivorous rosettes with enough dew to catch a swarm of fungus gnats!

I'd recommend watering them through the tray method if you grow the pings in drained containers. During the summer make sure that the tray has enough water to make the soil the ping grows in moist to a little wet. When winter starts, let the water table drop considerably so that the soil is only slightly damp.

Good luck growing : )

o

I would eliminate the tap water unless you know it's free of minerals. Technically, 'dew is for sundews and 'grease'for butterworts. The plant seems to be stressed for some reason. Sometimes the stickiness can't be seen unless you use a magifying glass. Try that.

o

Winter leaves have no dew. STOP the tap water unless you want a dead plant soon.

o

Thanks for the info guys, I am not sure what the species name, only the genus since it was marked "Ping." Now that spring is on its way, rain water is easy to collect, so goodbuy tapwater. I refuse to buy water in today's economy. I got 5 gallons of free rain water today and once I drain the winter cover on the pool I'll have more. thanks for the speedy responses everyone

o

Can you post a picture?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here