Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Sarracenia outdoors in AZ with tap water

Posted by mullenium AZ (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 16, 09 at 17:39

I have 2 Sarracenia's I've been growing as windowsill plants for awhile but they dont seem to be growing too well.

Would the summers in AZ kill these plants? also would the irrigation water kill them as it's just tap water

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Sarracenia outdoors in AZ with tap water

These are OUTDOOR plants and will not do well inside at all. They need full Sun, at least 6-8 hours or more a day. NO TAP WATER, distilled, rain or reverse osmosis water ONLY. No bottled water either.

o

tommyr once again this is your opinion and not fact and you should say it as IMO.

Mullenium your sarrs. will do fine inside as long as they get 6 hrs of direct sun or you are using grow lights to supplement the sun light if less than 6 hrs. A south facing window will work fine. The water may be your problem. It is more than tap water if it is running through a dirty ditch. Your tap water would probably be better. If the ppm of your tap water is below 100 it will work just fine. For now buy some distilled bottled water to use and see if that helps. No spring or drinking water as these contain salts and minerals that will kill your plants. Distilled water is usually in the laundry soap isle at the grocery store.

o

Try to use distilled, or reverse osomosis water. CP's need low-nutrient soils and tap water tends to have too much. And the Sarrs can tolerate temps up to about 90-95. I live in Phoenix and with the absurd weeks and months of temps in the 110's and 100's, I think you may want to grow them indoors, possibly under very bright fluorescent lights or near a relatively cool windowsill that gets the amount of sunlight that taz mentioned above. If you live in areas like Prescott or Flagstaff though, the pitcher plants should grow beautifully outdoors, given the right soil, water, etc.

o

Good luck, you WILL be replacing them as they will not do well indoors. See http://cobraplant.com/index.php for more information. These people know what they are talking about.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Carnivorous Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here