Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jsehorn_gw

Sarracenia and phyllodia

jsehorn
13 years ago

I understand that it is usual for S. leucophylla to produce phyllodia in the late spring/early summer, but what triggers the production of phyllodia? Is it temperature, day length, or what? The reason I ask is because I have acquired a S. leucophylla and a S. "Judith Hindle", both of which are plants I have grown before. I live in Oregon now so this probably won't be an issue like it was when I lived in Oklahoma, but mostly I'm just curious.

I've never had any problem whatsoever with Sarracenia, but when I lived in Oklahoma I tried a few times to grow S. leucophylla, but even through late summer and all through fall, all my plants ever produced were phyllodia (while all my other Sarraceniae did fine), and knowing S. leucophylla is known for producing phyllodia, I tried a leucophylla hybrid, "Judith Hindle" thinking that because of it's parents other than leucophylla it would work out, and it behaved the same way, producing nothing but phyllodia.

Anybody have any suggestions? I'll see how those two do here in Oregon this year, but I'm perplexed as to why I wasn't able to grow them in Oklahoma despite all my other Sarraceniae doing just fine under the same growing conditions.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!