Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monkeyking2795

Venus Flytrap, butter worts, and sundew(drosera)

monkeyking2795
16 years ago

I really need help. I just got a venus flytrap, a butterwort, and a sundew (drosera)on saturday march 8th. And the next day, my butterworts are dry. I currently have it in perlite i think. And i dont have distilled water. I'll get peat moss and distilled very soon. The question is... is the butterworts supposed to be dry? And also, my venus flytraps are not closing and they're only babies and they are about 2mm big. Some of them didn't even open yet. But the 3mm open but dont close when i tested sticking some things in. What do i do? How do i take care of it better? I live in Wayne Pennsylvania and its currently winter and spring in the middle but its cold outside. Should i bring it inside? How do i know if its in dormancy or not. I feel like its gonna freeze to death. I'm thinking about getting a terrarium. Please comments on some tips.

Comments (6)

• don555
    16 years ago

Not sure what your weather is now, but if your flytraps freeze, they will die. Small plants don't really need dormancy for a year or more, so you are much better off to give them the best growing conditons you can until least this autumn. Don't worry about the non-closing traps - at 3mm they are just babies, a mature plant has 30 mm traps. I wouldn't even try to feed them anything until the traps are at least 10-15 mm, and then only something like an ant.

Yor butterworts should NEVER be dry. Get some water to that plant! You can pick up distilled water at many corner stores, certainly at the grocery store. In a pinch, use rainwater, even tapwater is better than letting them dry out, because drying out will kill them for certain.
    -Don

• monkeyking2795
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for your useful information. I just got dechlorined water but boiling it and cooling it. Is it ok to flood it? Like put water in a bowl and putting the pot inside the bowl? Thats how my friends grew his. So i tried that. I just brought my plant inside and gave it that bowl. Is it okay for them to be planted all in one pot? It kinda looks like the flytrap has no place to grow.
    Is my butterwort going to be saved if i add water, because i just did.
    Do you have any other tips?

• don555
    16 years ago

Hi, I'm not clear on what you used to water your plants. The proper type of water is distilled water because that has been distilled to get pure water and leave the minerals and salts behind. It is not chlorine that is bad for carnivorous plants, it is the dissolved minerals like calcium, magnesium, etc. So boiling ordinary tap water isn't any good, you want to have pure water like distilled water, rainwater, or melted snow. If you in fact used tap water and just boiled it, well, that's not going to harm them once, but you should make sure you use distilled water or captured rainwater in the future. (I use rainwater or melted snow... right now I'm trying to get as much clean snow as I can, and melt it and save the water for summer -- got about 20 gallons right now, which is pretty much all I have room to store. But sometimes my outdoor plants get watered by accident by our lawn sprinkler, which is the bad tapwater - but I don't worry about it if it's only a few times per year.)

Flooding things is okay, sometimes if we get some real rainy weather in the summer, my flytraps get completely submerged for several days in the aquarium I grow them in - doesn't seem to bother them at all. Better wet than dry.

I would recommend planting each plant in a different pot when you can. I use pure long-fiber sphagnum moss, but most people here seem to prefer a mix of sphagnum, sand and perlite.

I just tranplanted the flytraps in one of my aquariums last night... so here's a pic to give you an idea about what you can expect in the way of top growth and roots on a healthy mature flytrap, plan your pot size accordingly:
    {{gwi:548995}}

You can grow flytraps fairly crowded, like shown below, as they don't seem to mind it. But if just starting off, I'd give them plenty of room to get them nice and healthy.

Hope that helps.
    -Don
    {{gwi:548996}}

• don555
    16 years ago

Here's a website you should check out -- it'll tell you pretty much everything you want to know about growing carnivorous plants. Great information here!

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq.html

• monkeyking2795
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the website and your picture and your information, it was really really helpful. What does it mean when one of my traps are yellow currently? Is it gonna die? I'm currently keeping it in a plastic bag with a little bit of water that is evaporating inside the bag which makes it humid. Sometimes i let it breathe by opening the bag for air circulation.

• mutant_hybrid
    16 years ago

Slowly get the bag off of your plants by punching holes in the bag and or opening the top of the bag a little every few days until the humidity no longer is held inside. The plants might get moldy trapped in a humid little bag or terrarium. Adapting them to low humidity is priority to having them healthier. Keeping them in the bag or terrarium fully covered would make them weak and floppy, keep light out, and allow mold and bacterial infection to set in. One of the most prevalent bits of misinformation about Flytraps and most carnivorous plants is that they need high humidity to survive... they do not for the most part, but you have to adapt them slowly now that they have been cooped up in bags and covered pots or they will wilt and possibly die from shock. Look to taking two weeks to adapt them to low humidity as previously noted.

Sponsored
Designing Beautiful, Sustainable Homes in Columbus