Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peaches20

Nepenthes seed help

peaches20
16 years ago

I just purchased nepenthes albomarginata seeds that didn't come with any instructions. Can anyone please

help me with germination instructions

Thanks

Peaches

Comments (7)

• carnivorousplants
    16 years ago

Just google "germinating nepenthes seeds" and you will get all the info you need

Good luck,
    Adrian

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

What a coincidence! I just asked the same question somewhere else:

Methods of germinating from seeds?
    I am 0 for 3 with N. mirabilis seed germination. I just received seeds of N. bicalcarata & ampularia. Really all I know is that they need a warm, moist, well-lit environment. But how do all approach this?

• organic_trickster
    16 years ago

Hi Peaches50 & Petiolaris.

I've had the same problem with germinating nepenthes seeds, they are notoriously difficult to germinate. I purchased several seeds from borneoexotics.com and they came with the following instructions:

Place a jar lid in a tray of water with the water level just below the top of the lid. Then place a piece of kitchen roll over the lid so that it absorbs the water and sits on the top of the lid, so that it never drys out. Gently spray the seeds with water until the seeds are wet, ensuring that the seeds have full contact with the paper.

Maintain dampness and high humidity by covering with a plastic bag or upturned glass, keep in a bright place at room temperature, perhaps a windowsill. However, not in direct sun.

Germination may take 3 weeks to 3 months. 2 normal leaves should appear first. The third successive leaf will have a tiny trap on the end.

After the fourth leaf has formed, pot on and spray with 1/4 strength orchid fertilizer.

It didn't work for me, but reading other information regarding germination, it could be to do with the lack of warmth. I got bored recently and just bought a rafflesiana & spectabilis. I'd post some pics but they are recovering from their journey between Canada & the UK.

• peaches20
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info. Do the seeds actually need to be cold stratified first or can I plant them now.

Thanks,

Peaches

• carnivorousplants
    16 years ago

Nepenthes seeds don't need to be stratified, only temperate plants need to.

- Adrian

• petiolaris
    16 years ago

Thanks for sharing the method. I also read recently that the seeds should be kept in a low lit environment for about 10 days, first. Fro the moment, I have them in sealed baggies of slightly moist media, floating in a heated water bath, under a Grolux light. We'll see what happens!

• organic_trickster
    16 years ago

No problem. Makes a change, I'm normally the one asking the questions.

Petiolaris, that is a very interesting method and it sounds like the plants natural environment, so it may well work. I've also heard that the seeds need to be as fresh as possible. If they have been around for two months, they are toast!

Good luck & please post some pics when they germinate (positive thinking).