Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nkda1819

possible fungus on N. alata

nkda1819
16 years ago

I have a quick question for any Nepenthes experts out there. A local greenhouse has some gorgeous large N. alata plants growing in 12" hanging baskets with very robust displays of wonderfully colored large pitchers. I'd really like to buy one, but I have noticed that there are small blackish spots (3-4mm)spattered around on most of the leaves both young and old. The spots aren't solid or opaque, but it basically looks like a black moldy film and it wipes off easily with a finger. We've had a damp and cool spring and the plants looked pretty moist. I'm assuming it is some type of fungus, and I just wanted to make sure I wasn't putting out good money for a plant doomed to death. None of the actual leaves are turning black for that matter, the leaves are all a beautiful green color with only the little black spots to keep them from being perfect....

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (2)

• hunterkiller03
    16 years ago

If the leaves and urns looks healthy and the gunk on the leaves are easily removed with you finger. Sounds like a bad case of flies defecating on the neps. Yuk!

And you wiped it off with you finger! Eewwww...!

I'm making a wild guess that the alata being sold at your store is most likely N. X ventrata, a hybird between N. alata & N. ventricosa. It usually sold as N. alata with "red" added to the name. This hybird is quite hardy, is easy to grow, and somwhat resilient to its owners mistakes.

The plant looks like N. alata but the urns do look like alata but a little tuby and it inherits the ruffled rim of ventricosa. It also has inherits on its sword-shape leaves nectar glands that attracts its prey. Especially flies, have you tried taking a peak to see if its clog with flies?

I had flies pooping on my neps and sarracenia before they become fertilizer. I say go for it!

Either way, hope you washed those hands! )-p

• breeindy
    16 years ago

Its black fungus, can be sprayed with a fungicide but i would buy them. High humidity and no air circulation causes it. pretty easy to rid of though!

Sponsored