Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
enjoyingthesilence

End of VFT Dormancy

enjoyingthesilence
17 years ago

Hello! I've got a very sad-looking flytrap sitting on my desk right now. I'm fairly sure it's dormant, though, not dead... it's been in my garage with fluorescent bulbs on it for the past three months or so, but it's been too warm to keep it dormant lately so I brought it back to my dorm with me. Some of the leaves are a little crispy around the edges, and the rest of the plant is soft, but definitely not a gooey mushy mess like dead VFTs have been described on other sites. The leaves kind of feel like Kleenex, really. There's no smell, either, and it seems to be taking up a lot of water.

Now, my main question is, should I just let it sit and do its own thing, or clip off the dead-looking leaves so new ones can grow? I've seen both advised on different websites and I don't know which to trust. :( I don't want to kill the poor thing, assuming I haven't already. This is my first VFT (at least, since I was like nine) and I'll be really excited if I can pull it through its first dormancy, but I have no idea what to do.

Help please?

Comments (4)

Sponsored